Chapter 23 - Family Changes

Summary: Link grows more comfortable with his new body, but Mipha explains there is more to being a Zora than swimming well. Tila has a joyous surprise for her family. Robbie finishes work on his more powerful guardian. And Purah's team prepares to resume excavation work in the Faron Region.

It was midday in Zora's Domain, and Mipha had spent the morning swimming with Link at Ruto Lake, helping him become more comfortable as a Zora. It reminded Mipha of their training days after Ganon's underwater blight took refuge in Lake Hylia. That was just over seventeen years ago now, and she had pushed Link to his limits back then, wanting him able to fight underwater with all the skill he could muster. It had been a grueling experience for them both, but some of that strenuous training was paying off now. She could see that Link was making more rapid progress than before. Anyway, they had spent several hours doing swimming exercises, and now they were taking a rest and floating beside one other.

"I can tell you're already swimming much better now, sweetheart," said Mipha. "Your movements are smoother, more natural, and seem to take you much less effort."

"Yes, at first, I was kind of consciously straining to keep track of what to do with fins and all. But swimming is feeling more automatic again, like before. I can do it without thinking about it. And I seem to have more energy too. Being in the water invigorates me somehow."

"That's all normal and shows you're making wonderful progress," said Mipha. "I always feel invigorated in the water, which is why I love being in it with you."

"And there's another thing I like about this change," said Link. "You know I've always looked up to you, sweetheart. But now I don't have to do it physically anymore."

"You're such a comedian. But I like seeing eye-to-eye with you, too. We should use this entire week that Father is giving us off so you can grow more fully acclimated to your new body, though it will probably take longer."

"Longer? I think I will be comfortable sooner than that. I'm a fast learner, you know."

"Don't you think I should be the judge of that, sweetheart? But there is more to being a Zora than swimming ability."

"Fair enough," laughed Link. "I love our free time together anyway, and I'm in no hurry to see it end, so that's fine. But I can't get over how much more energy I have in the water now! It's even more than I remember from my past."

"That's because water is your natural element now, and you're young as a Zora," said Mipha. "In fact, if you had done this twenty years ago, I would have been accused of marrying a minor."

"You're joking, right?"

"Well, yes, I am joking, given the circumstances that you were already a Hylian adult and of sound mind when we married," laughed Mipha as she reached out and took his hand. "Though now that I come to think of it, maybe that sound mind criteria could still be in doubt."

"Very funny! I knew it wouldn't take you long to make fun of my memory loss," laughed Link. "But I remembered enough to know I loved you, and that's all I needed to know."

"I'm teasing, of course," laughed Mipha. "But my point is you would have still been a Zora minor back then, so of course, you're still young now."

"I see. Well, I would have hated to see you get in trouble over me and accused of taking advantage of my young, impressionable mind," teased Link.

"Impressionable? Is that the same as empty?"

"I thought you would be nicer to me now," laughed Link as he squeezed her hand.

"Why? I haven't changed."

"But seriously, sweetheart, I feel wonderful, and I'm thrilled to be with you like this."