Hermosa

Requested by: No one

Pronouns: They/them

Extra: Will this make sense? No. It's four in the morning and I haven't slept at all! :D

I acknowledge that the Encanto characters probably speak English, and that you might speak Spanish, but let me have this, okay? >:[

Why did your parents think moving to the Encanto would be a good idea? No one in your family spoke Spanish—so why move to a place where everyone spoke Spanish? It was just poor judgement on their part.

"Y/n, while we're unpacking, you should go out and get to know people!" your mother said cheerfully, unloading a box.

You scoffed a bit—it wasn't that easy to talk to people, but she didn't understand that. "Okay...see you later." You exited your new house and began to walk along the street.

Sometimes, people stopped and said hi in Spanish, and thankfully you understood the bare minimum to say hi back and keep moving, hoping they wouldn't want to keep talking.

Suddenly, you turned around a corner too fast and bumped right into someone. They jumped back in surprise, and you fell flat on your face.

"Sorry!" you gasped instinctively, beginning to push yourself up, but the person you bumped into grabbed your arms and helped you stand.

"Lo siento, ¿estás bien?" she asked, taking her hands away. You caught your breath at the sight of her—she was beautiful, with dark curls, a red ribbon in her hair, and holy Lord was she muscular.

You blinked, trying to control the heat in your face. "Um—no habla Español," you said feebly. You'd attempted basic phrases on the ride over, to at least tell people you couldn't communicate with them.

She frowned. "Oh—um..." She didn't seem to know what to do, awkwardly patting her sides with clenched hands, and you felt strangely frustrated. Not with her, but with the fact that you couldn't talk to such a breathtaking person.

"I'm Y/n," you said, pointing at yourself and then holding out a hand to her.

She smiled and shook your hand, and you marveled at how rough her palm was. She must be a hard worker. "Soy Luisa."

You nodded and offered a small smile. "Hi, Luisa." She let go of your hand, and picked up a stack of barrels that she must have dropped when you bumped into each other.

She tilted her head towards you once, smiling slightly, then turned and walked in the direction she'd been heading.

You stared after her, a warm feeling spreading in your chest. "Wow," you whispered. "She's strong."

-

"Mom!" you exclaimed, bursting into your new house. Your parents looked up from the half-empty boxes in surprise. "I need to learn Spanish!"

Your father raised his eyebrows. "Where's this newfound excitement coming from?"

"I met someone who could be a potential friend, but she only speaks Spanish!" you explained in a rush. "Her name's Luisa—and she looks like she could bench-press me if she felt like it."

Your mom smiled. "Ah, she must be one of those Madrigals—with the magic powers, you know?"

You nodded impatiently; you'd heard about the gifts, but they didn't seem too important now. "Yeah, that's cool, but where's that English-to-Spanish book we bought last month?"

One week later (I'm writing a letter nightly)

You spent every waking second with that book, repeating the phrases over and over until you got them right. You were going to communicate with that amazing stranger Luisa if it was the last thing you ever did.

Finally, when you were sure you had down the foundations of a boring conversation, you took a breath and exited the indoors, blinking in the sudden sunlight that you hadn't seen in days.

It didn't take as long as you thought it would to find Luisa—someone had shouted her name from across the street, and you glanced up hopefully.

And yep, there she was, kicking a building so that it tilted back into its proper position.

Working up the nerve, you approached her—trying not to run—and gently tapped her arm. She glanced down and smiled in recognition.

"Conozco ALGO de Español," you said quietly.

She grinned. "And I know some English," she said in a heavily accented voice.

Your jaw dropped. "No way."

"Yeah," she chuckled. "It's not good yet."

"Estoy aprendiendo," you said, somewhat slowly. You didn't know how to speak rapidly yet, but you wanted to make this next part clear. "Para ti. Eres hermosa."

Her eyes widened, and a small blush found its way on her face. "Uh—" she cleared her throat and looked away. "Thank you." She fumbled with her hands, meeting your eyes again. "I'm learning. For you."

Your heart fluttered. She might have just repeated your words in English, but it made you happy. "Cool. Um...bye." You waved and ran away, trying not to squeal.