23.

We Protect Our Own.

Julian.

"I didn't want to worry your mate, if he were to know what's going on he'd try jump in and save us all with a spell that would blow our minds away, but we can't, he's pregnant and we can't afford to let him get hurt if they do decide to attack, the town has been receiving a lot of guests, our spies have informed me of a surge of lycan, wolf and vampire activity there, I'm afraid that they may be gathering to mount an attack on the pack, right now they just seem to be gathering and whoever is leading, since he can't subjugate the surrounding packs to help him fight, it might take a bit of time to amass an attack on a pack our size." Dad explained surprising all of us, this is what we had been waiting for, training for, this was it. "So what do we do?" Kirk asked the question on my mind, they all looked to me and I snickered, the perks of being an alpha.

"We need to fortify the pack, evacuate any pack members in town, and any who are coming from other packs, also warn the other packs, to either fortify their packs and prepare to be attack or seek shelter here, we also need to raise the obelisk shield, activate the secondary defense shield aswell, best we be prepared." I explained the plan just as Brent burst into the office we were in. "Did any of you eat or drink anything from the pack house today?" He immediately asked and all of us shook our heads in refusals, unable to form the words due to shock. "Thank the Goddess, you need to help out here, Clarke and River have been working on finding out what was causing the pack members in this area to get sick, Clarke found out it's been the water mostly, which was poisoned with a pathogen and the shipments we've had from out of town, they sectioned off the whole west side because this is where its concentrated, I need your help evacuating everyone out of their homes and to the old infirmary, River just sent Chad with the counter vaccine, that was fast." Brent explains it all in one go and I'm astounded.

Now I knew how my mate felt when he was bombarded with problems from all sides and had to make tough decisions on his own, but I wasn't alone. "Alright, let's get the shot first, afterward, Dad, Kirk, find Granger and get into town, help evacuate the lycans, once everyone is in, tell me and we'll enact the plan." I told the lycans and we all got into action racing to where Chad was, it wasn't hard to find him since Kirk knew where his mate was. "Thank the heavens you're here." The witch mumbles as he pulls out six vials of what I assumed was the vaccine and injected all of us. "Virdatu." He cast the spell with force as a glyph burned itself onto my hand. "Go help, Brent take this to Clarke, help him with the ones already infected." Chad asserted giving a vial and needle to Brent who took off into the crowd, I nodded to my father and Kirk as they too took off to do their own task.

"Where is my mate?" I asked Chad. "Your house creating an antidote, Riley mind helping." He replied just as the barrier I finally noticed opened for me and I raced toward him, I couldn't believe we had so many problems at once, you'd think after all we had gone through we would get a break. I ran full sprint toward the house I was now living in with my mate, Riley and Zaya, River wasn't ready to move out and be away from Riley and neither was Riley, so we made a compromise, until the kids were born we wouldn't move out, and it would give us time to design the house and get it built, just enough time. "Babe!" I yelled racing down into the basement which was his workroom and lab. "I've almost got it, solvidantu helio caecus manstra." He spoke inbetween his spell casting, and as he clasped his palms together a burst of magic rippled out of him throwing me back into the stairs.

"Julian!" He yelled briskly making his way to me. "Are you okay?" He worried as I groaned, I could've sworn I saw star constellations. "Could be better, tell me that's the antidote that you made and possibly ready to distribute because we have another problem." I told him as I stood to my full height dwarfing him. "Yeah, and the lab is already recreating more of it like the vaccine." He replied packing the antidotes into large coolers, I helped him pack everything just as a knock vibrated on the door. I heaved up all the containers I could and made my way upstairs. "Alpha Julian, we were sent by the head warrior and your advisor to come assist you." I knew them, they were warriors I trained with everyday and I was glad they could help. "Good you're here, grab everything my mate has and get it to Clarke now, we'll come with more." River asserted and they didn't hesitate to do as he said.

I raced back down to the lab and grabbed the rest of the bags and coolers my mate had set up. "River  we need to go." I told him as he took some of the lighter bags, everything was packed into the car and I was glad I would drive, River was a speedster, Riley rarely let him drive. "We need to have the others do this, can you check the pack for more places that could potentially have infected people?" I stated with a question and he nodded concentrating on something in his mind. "Julian why is the town being evacuated." Shit he knew, someone must have triggered his wards. "Dad didn't want to worry you, but there has been a concerning number of out of towners in Winchester, so we came up with a plan to evacuate before things got bad, that's also when Brent told us about what you and Clarke found out, I was going to tell you after we figured out one crisis and you along with Chad raise the shields." I explained and his mouth hung slightly open. "Whoa, I'm starting to feel like this is a pattern, we are always getting hit by crisis over and over, alright lets get the antidote to everyone then we raise the shield." He replied holding out his hand and I took it in mine, I was so relieved to have him them, it made dealing with everything so much easier.

We skidded to a stop just by the barrier Chad had placed, he and Riley had done a good job separating the infected and the ones who only needed the vaccine, I was proud. "Chad, we have more vaccines and antidotes, everyone please get these to the old infirmary." River quickly announced and pack members immediately rushed to help us and soon Clarke had confirmed the antidote was working. "The antidote is working, thank Goddess." I exhaled and those close to me including my mate all heaved a sigh of relief. "Son, raise the barrier." I heard my father assert into my mind and I looked to my mate. "Chad we need to activate the barrier." River asserted grabbing the witch's hand where he was. "Everyone stand back!" I told the pack members who immediately moved away as magic in suffocating waves rolled out all around us in pure white smoke, it spiraled into the sky until we could barely see it. "Protego voleko salcius vartu ekh mehta, protego et navighu confuso qou et egnus." They cast the spell that caused thunder to drum all around us but there were no thunder clouds just pure magic.

The first barrier, a translucent blue vibrated with magic, it's pillars were obelisks strategically placed around the pack and aslong as one stood, the barrier would aswell. "Qou ventu." River cast the spell for the second barrier, and from where we stood the roar of a flame in the middle of pack territory could be heard, River had explained to me that the fire drew it's power from all who were in the pack and aslong as it didn't burn out the barrier would stand. I finally released a breath as my mate made his way  to me. "Crisis averted." I mumbled breathing in his scent, it calmed me down as I held him. "We live to fight another day." He responded breathing out as well, we would be okay, we would always be okay.

+++

Saint_Jay