Wattpad Original
There are 20 more free parts

Chapter Thirteen

Cameron

By the time Maddie's workday comes to a close I feel jittery with excitement. She had said yes to dinner and granted, it was a family dinner, but still. She had said yes.

I'm packing up Izzy's diaper bag by the reception desk while Izzy sits on my hip. She's as happy as a lark, and she's been that way all day. The turtle we call squishy has been played with for hours, and I know I'm new to the whole parenting thing, but I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of it.

Maya grabs her keys to lock up, flicking her black hair with purple ends that are in a long braid over her shoulder. "So..." she trails off, and I visibly see Maddie tense. "I've been thinking that I miss my niece."

"You've seen her all day," Maddie interjects, sending her a look that I don't seem to catch onto.

"I was just wondering if I could take her back to your apartment? I can put her down for the night. That way you and Cam can catch up."

Maya is smiling widely, and I begin to realize what she's trying to do.

Not that I'm complaining of course.

"And we carpooled this morning anyways, so I can take your car home and you can catch a ride with Cam. I'm assuming you'll get her home safely?" She eyes me steadily like she's trying to figure out what my intentions really are tonight.

Maddie has her arms crossed over her chest, an irritated look on her face. I know she's not angry about going out to dinner with me. It's more like she's angry about having to hide her feelings at dinner with me. The feelings we both know we have.

"You know I will," I reassure her. "Thanks, Maya."

Maddie looks at me, her eyebrows furrowing together in confusion. "You still want to go without Izzy?"

She can't possibly be this naive, right? I mean, she knows that I still have feelings for her. There's no way she couldn't after the night we had at the hotel together. Then again, that was all lust. That doesn't exactly prove that I'm still in love with her. It just proves that I'm attracted to her, and that's pretty damn incredulous for me not to be.

Even now, with her curly blonde ringlets going every which way, she still looks absolutely beautiful. Bright blue eyes, slender face, full lips, she's a complete dream to me.

"Yes," I finally respond, keeping my gaze intensely on hers. "Do you still want to go without Izzy?"

I've flustered her now, her cheeks going red as she fidgets with the light pink top she has on. It's intriguing, to say the least. It wraps around her tiny figure, and it takes everything I have in me not to look down and steal a glance at her breasts.

"Yes. I do." She clears her throat and pulls out her phone from the back pocket of her jeans. "Thank you, Maya. I'll leave my ringer on in case you need us to come home earlier."

"Oh, we'll be just fine." Maya smiles bigger, and it seems like Maddie is giving her a look to shut up.

I lead the way outside, holding the door open for her to pass by me. She stops on the street and looks at the Audi parked on the curb, a giggle coming out uncontrollably. "Are you kidding me?" She asks. "You drive an Audi?"

I got the SUV because it's more family-friendly and has more room for Isabelle. It's better than the Prius that Maddie drives. That thing is a death trap. "You don't like it?" I ask.

"No, I love it." She beams. "It's just impressive as hell that you can afford this now, Cam. I remember driving around town in your busted-up jeep that was like, fifteen years old."

I smile at the thought as I open up the passenger side door for her. It's one of the things I admire the most about her. Most girls now are into me for fame. Hell, even Katie was dating me for that just at the thought that I would be drafted. But Maddie has always loved me for me. Back when I was in middle school and shot a slushie out of my nose from laughing so hard. Back when I was just a kid.

She glances up at me as she goes to get into the car, her body extremely close to mine. She's so short, but I've always loved the height difference between us. Right now I want to lean down and kiss her. It's like an instinct.

"I miss that car," I tell her, but what I really want to say is I miss her. Hell, I'm trying to communicate though now, right? No more hiding feelings. "I miss you," I finish warily.

Lips parted, eyes wide, she stares at me for a few seconds, unsure of what to say. I never would have been this bold all of those years ago between us, but not anymore. I'm done hiding how I feel.

"I miss you too," she whispers, and my heart leaps into my throat. "But I like that we're being good parents for Isabelle right now. I'm not saying that I don't want anything with us in the future Cam, because honestly..." She trails off, letting out a deep breath. "I think you're it for me. If it's not you then I don't think there's anyone else out there that I'll feel this way about. I just want to make sure we're not jumping into things, you know?"

I nod. "Yeah, I do know that and I completely agree with you. What we've got going right now is good."

"Doesn't make it any less harder though." She smiles and tugs on her lip as dirty thoughts creep in. I can see the memories of us practically dancing in her eyes right now as she plays them back. "So, where are you taking me?" She asks to thankfully change the subject. Otherwise, I probably would have just given in and said fuck it from the way she's staring at me right now.

"Well..." I usher with my hand for her to get inside the car, a devilish grin plastered to my face. "Get in and find out."