Chapter 39. The double-date [Caleb]

The sun went down a while ago. Leaving us standing under the neon glow of the bowling slash restaurant's sign. It rained earlier, leaving the concrete floor wet by our feet. Pools of water, basking in its pink and blue colors.

We decided to take the car. And after leaving Lucy at Stefany's once again, which she isn't happy about, we drove straight down here, parking the car in the parking lot.

I look down at my phone. I keep checking for any new messages from Tina, but none are there. We've been waiting out front for the last 5 minutes, meaning they are late, which Tina usually isn't.

I tap my foot in beat, putting my hands into my jacket pockets because of the chilly air. I can't wait to go inside. I will give them 5 more minutes, and if they don't show, I'm heading in, promises or not.

"I've never gone bowling before," M offers as we wait. He can probably see my patience slacking.

I look up at him, giving him a once over. He's wearing his jacket, the one we bought together. He looks good in it. Pants tightly fit his long legs. A black shirt to compliment it. There's not a hint of wings in sight, only a tall and toned body.

"No?" I joke, raising my eyebrows in simulated shock. "I thought there was like a special angel bowling alley in the sky that you went to every Sunday with your angel buddies."

M rolls his eyes and throws an arm around my neck, pulling me in close, warm breath fanning my face as he laughs. "The cold is making you cocky, I see," M says. "For that, you owe me a burger."

"I was already going to pay for your food anyway," I shoot back with a chuckle.

There's the sound of gravel under tires, a car's engine humming. Headlights blind us for a second before the car turns onto a vacant slot in the parking lot.

The lights turn off, and the car goes silent. The doors click open, and out goes Tina and her mystery man.

The man is tall, almost the same height as M. Skin pale, having probably never seen an inch of sunlight, and long hair, black as the night, tucked behind his ear. His features are sharp, even rough, yet they come off as handsome. He's looking oddly familiar, but I can't place him from anywhere.

Tina squeals, calling out my name in excitement. She rushes over, hugging me tightly, pulling M in for the hug too. When she pulls back, her pearly whites are still showing, even more than before.

Luke walks over with a gloomy swagger, hands tightly fit into his pockets. He stops at Tina's side, looping a slender arm around her waist.

"So this is Luke," Tina blushes as she cranes her neck to watch Luke with starry eyes. It's cute seeing Tina finally be happy with someone. Good thing it's just not Kyle.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Caleb," Luke stretches out his hand, his fingers long and bony. "I've heard a lot about you."

"I can't really say the same about you," I say honestly, shaking his hand. I have heard nothing about this 'Luke guy' besides them meeting at Kyle's party. Tina has been withholding anything enlightening about Luke, too busy with him to tell me anything, which I can only assume to be a good thing. That means he's not insufferable, at least. "But it's good to finally put a face on the guy who managed to sweep my best friend off of her feet."

Luke smiles at me, showing a perfect set of teeth, canines sharp like a predator. His smile fades as he sets his eyes on M next to me. The twinkle of light in his eyes dulls. He doesn't offer his hand to M. Instead, he gives an acknowledging nod, a cordial gesture.

"And you must be the guy with the one-letter name, M." Luke points out. "Is it short for something?"

"No, it's just M," M clarifies with the shake of his head.