Chapter 8: The Beginning After The End

The fire spirit spinned around in what seemed like excitement. Soon, it stopped, descending to face Alvaro as he gave another yawn.

It's quite unfortunate I can't have a good rest. I wonder when was the last time I actually sleep normally?

"Tired already?"

"Nope, I can be awake for longer periods of time since I'm used to having insomnia."

"Okay, if you say so," the spirit sarcastically said, not believing him.

"Haah, what will I do with you," they continued.

"...?" Alvaro gave a confused head tilt at those words.

"Hmmm? Is there something wrong with what I said?"

"Not really, it's just that you're acting as if we're made a contract," he pointed out.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, but why is the spirit convinced? Seems it bit strange not going to lie.

"Am I hearing that you don't want to from a contract?"

"That's not what I meant—-"

"Huuuh, I see."

"Huh?"

"You know, I was unsure about forming a contract with someone, but now I find that you might be the perfect person for someone like me."

I'm even more confused about the behavior of this spirit. I guess the only thing I can do now is to hear the reasoning.

"Care to elaborate on that?"

"Come on, don't make me say it! I'm a young maiden after all."

Qué?

"You're a floating circle, what the fuck are you on?" retorted Alvaro at the comment.

"Wait a...minute...? What?" question Alvaro.

"Is there a problem with my gender?"

"No, it's just surprising."

Maybe it's my lack of sleep that is bringing my intelligence down. Well, not that I had any to begin with. But still, I never would have thought that they would have genders. Perhaps because I thought it would be different due to being in another world.

"You wound me, but not as much as when I saw you crying like a little lonely child."

"—!?"

A panicked expression quickly found its way onto Alvaro's face. He cursed himself for showing a moment of weakness, biting his lip.

Shit, I messed up again! How can I be so fucking stupid to not learn a lesson from what happened that time?!

Due to his own incompetence, he needs to remind himself to not show such possible strong emotions unless he wants to get taken advantage of. Luckily for him, this spirit isn't the type to do that, or that's what he hopes

"Aw, don't be so heartbroken. After all, that is what led me to choose you."

"I don't even care anymore," he chuckled.

I understand her less and less. At least she should be useful in the future.

"Okaay, now to the important stuff. We'll be forming a contract."

"Yeah, I'm sure I don't need to warn you about me being a witch cultist, right?"

"Yup, I don't care about that as long as you're still yourself I'm fine if you're a witch cultist or a knight."