81

Kalindi had hidden the news of Aniruddh's death from Sumati but had given her the full account of his wellbeing and the full story leaving the details of his place of stay that night. Sumati had wanted to visit him immediately but couldn't. They had called the haveli to inform them of their arrival the next day but got to know he was out and busy. And this morning came the bad news and Sumati with Kalindi didn't loose time reaching haveli. Bondita was not home.

" Where is she ?!" Kalindi was disappointed on top of worrying for her Jamai Babu who lay motionless on the bed.

" To school Thakuma." Sampoorna replied but her words were not answered back. Kalindi didn't like her for what she did to Sumati. And ofcourse for her wrong ways to enter haveli. She liked to call it ' तीयाचरित्र'. Meaning her loose of a character.

" How can she go to school when he is in this condition ?!" Sumati exclaimed looking at Trilochan. " My daughter is a fool !" Sumati had tears in her eyes. She was scared for her Jamai Babu but also for her daughter. What if this was not taken well by her Sasural ? What if she is blamed for his health ? " Hey Durga maa ! Zamindar Babu..." She turned to Trilochan with pleading eyes. " please forgive my Bondita... She does stupid things sometimes..."

" Don't worry about her at all. I allowed her to go."

" You...did...?" She spared a glance at Aniruddh. But...he needed her.

" Yes. But Aniruddh would be furious to know I didn't let her go to school. We all know that can't be risked." He acted of closing his ears signalling Aniruddh's infamous loud rants trying to bring some humour to the conversation being held in the room where his son layed unaware.

Sumati and Thakuma still felt Bondita should have been here but they both didn't want to press the matter afraid it might change the light mood of the Bade Zamindar rendering him libral to his Bahu... daughter of the Das family. With subtitle exchange of thankful expressions between the women, they decided to leave the topic of Bondita's absence.

" Bade Malik..." Bihari came to the door.

" Yes ?" Trilochan asked.

" Aarti ji is here...to see Barrister Babu."

" But he is..."

" She knows. That is why she has come."

" Oh." Trilochan's eyes brows creased. Will it be ok if he let her in Aniruddh's room ? Afterall she was just a lowly member of the village. He couldn't just allow anyone to climb up the stairs of the haveli that too to someone's bedroom. But exceptions could be made. What else would you do when the person is ill ? People did visit sick people in their rooms. Her status could be overlooked for a few days for she saved Aniruddh's life. Or atleast helped him, majorly. " Bring her up..."

Sampoorna wanted to protest but could not. The presence of two women, one of whome she had almost killed, another who could kill her. The words didn't come out of her mouth.

Aarti entered the room and greeted everyone standing there. " This is Aarti." Trilochan introduced her to Kalindi, who had realisation on her face, and Sumati. " She was the one who...saved... Aniruddh." Kalindi was thankful Trilochan didn't reveal exactly how.

" Really...?" Sumati came forward. " You did ? You saved my Jamai Babu ? You don't know what have you done for us." Her voice was thick with gratitude making Aarti embarrassed.

" I ... didn't do much... Just helped him in the hospital a little." She said quickly before anyone could say anything about the truth. She really didn't want it to come out. Who knows what consequences she might have to face ? Even he won't be spared.