Chapter 28

From: Weirdo

Subject: Good Morning!!!

Text: Good morning, Hitomi-chan!! I hope you slept well last night and I hope that you're feeling better! I really want to see you! Let me know if you want to come and see me at practice when you don't have prep school! My mom was also asking if you wanted to come have dinner with us again! I'd love it if you did, but only if you want to!!

Hitomi sat at the long dining table, staring at her phone screen. Her eyes were glued to the most recent message. It was one of the many that Nishinoya had sent to her after she had effectively ghosted him, following the incident at his school.

There were so many. Initially ones displaying concern and gradually changing back to the way he usually texted her. As if everything were back to normal, but there was that sense of desperation for any response from her.

And she had failed to give it.

Despite all of the 'good morning,' 'good night,' and other messages, Hitomi couldn't bring herself to respond to a single one. She had tried before, only to immediately delete what she had drafted.

Once again, her fingers hovered over the touch screen, her thumbs just barely over the keyboard. Eventually, she sighed, locking the phone and placing it face down on the table. She stared down at her plate, her untouched breakfast already having gone cold.

The servants stationed in the dining hall gave each other worried stares. The past several days, Hitomi had barely eaten any of her food. Eating only a few bites at the most while listlessly staring at her phone or into space.

It was clear to everyone that she wasn't in the right state of mind. It went far beyond her previous aloof nature, and it was far different from her recent spirited disposition. Things had been looking positive, a return to a happier time, but her temperament had plummeted in the past few days.

"Is your breakfast not to your liking, Hitomi-sama?" Chiyo asked out of obligation, knowing once again that it had nothing to do with the food. She had been asking questions like these far more often lately in order to get any response from the girl.

Hitomi shook her head. "Sorry...I just don't have much of an appetite this morning. I'll eat more later." She added reassurance, knowing her maid would say something concerning her nutrition. "I'll be heading to school now." She stated before Chiyo could get anything else out.

The servants all watched the young girl leave. Her feet almost seemed to be dragging.

Hitomi pulled out her phone, staring at the same message. She tapped on his contact, her eyes staring at the call button. She flinched when a car honked at her, the driver promptly pressing on the gas.

She had stopped at a small crossing but the driver had yielded to her, expecting her to cross the street. Seeing as she was distracted by her phone, the driver grew impatient and pressed on the horn as they passed.

The girl gave a long sigh, putting her phone back in her school bag. Even without the physical distraction, her mind was still wandering to him.

She wondered if he was walking to his school too. Then again, he probably had morning practice and was already at Karasuno by now. Speaking of practice, he was inviting her to come see it again in his text.

Would it be too weird to just up and say she wanted to go? To finally respond after days of nothing? How could she message him as if nothing happened? There's no way she could when she was still dealing with these turbulent emotions.

Before she knew it, Hitomi had already made it to Tohoku Academy. As always, she could hear the whispers of some students as others veered away from her direction to let her pass.