Chapter 22

Six years ago, when Kenma saw the baby for the first time with her small hands that would wrap around his fingers and the small sounds she would make, he remembered asking why she was named Suki. Was it because her birth mother wanted the little girl to grow up being liked by everyone?

It was such a conventional name, Kenma guess there'd be millions of girls named Suki by the time Kozume Suki was born. It wasn't a unique name either, albeit it has its fair share of beautiful meaning. Kenma remember when her birth mother asked him what she would name the baby and Kenma said something along the line of just name her Suki because it's your favorite word. Because Kana liked everything, even the smallest and simplest thing.

"Suki," Kenma muttered. "Did she say she likes me or did she really say Suki's name?"

He rolled on the side, opening his eyes to see that the digital clock read 3:27 and Kenma hardly had any sleep. Pondering about what you said had left Kenma unable to sleep even though he shouldn't be thinking about a trivial stuff like that.

Trivial? Is being liked by someone really that trivial to him? It was rare but Kenma used to receive a few confessions back in high school, he knew it was only because he was always hanging out with Kuroo so the girls noticed him too, and he's good in videogames. But he doubt it was even that big of a factor, the biggest factor was indeed being around Kuroo.

Kenma had never felt like this after being confessed to. "Technically she didn't confess," he muttered. "Maybe that's why I can't sleep. This is so irksome."

Whether you said you like him or you said Suki's name, Kenma made sure to get the answer in a few hours once Suki had gone to school. For now, Kenma decided to get what little hours of sleep he could get until then.

By the time his clock started to make that annoying beep that Kenma was sure one of these days he might actually throw the clock across the room, he stirred in his sleep and rolled on the side, opening his tired eyelids. Somehow it didn't feel like four hours had passed since he fell asleep, it felt like he had just closed his eyes for a minute and his alarm clock is already giving him a 1-week worth of headache.

When he headed outside, Kenma heard Suki talking about her dream while she's eating her breakfast while you sat across her and listened attentively that you didn't notice Kenma walking towards the counter to get a mug of coffee until Suki called him.

"Ah, daddy!" she said. "I remember my dream. In my dream, daddy and mommy and Suki went out to pick the stars."

"Really?" Kenma asked and Suki nodded her head, eyes sparkling in eagerness. "What a weird dream."

"Well, dreams are always odd and unique, right Suki-chan?" you said and Kenma stopped for a second, looking at you.

He didn't know why he was expecting you to act a little flustered, after blurting that out last night and leaving like that. Or maybe you did say Suki's name, Kenma is starting to feel like his thoughts and memories are overlapping with each other.