4.14

[4.14]

Loyalty

When Korra first came to her with the idea of heading out to take down the spirit canon before it got to Republic City, Rae was very reluctant in agreeing. She didn't understand the need to risk. The evacuation was on schedule, no riots or panics starting again as prince Wu was handling the situation surprisingly well, and Iroh was working every day to make sure his troops were in place, ready for Kuvira's arrival.

But still, the woman couldn't let Korra go without her. And as she was sitting in the sky bison's saddle, her hair flowing freely with the wind and her ears attentive at all kinds of sounds, she was grateful Korra convinced her to follow.

Because Kuvira was early. She was one week early. Rae could hear the marching of the troops, the loud drumming of the tanks and the mecha-suits.

"This doesn't make sense," said Mako, "there aren't any train tracks this way. How are they transporting that super weapon of theirs?"

It was like Kuvira had anticipated Mako's words because the second he closed his mouth, a loud bang echoed around them. It persisted, just like footsteps, and Rae couldn't help but frown in confusion at her complete blindness.

"What is that?" asked the woman, her hand finding Asami's shoulder.

"A giant mecha-suit," said the younger woman, and Rae's face fell.

Mako turned to his brother, almost terrified, "Did you know Kuvira was building that thing?"

"Oh did I forget to mention it?" asked Bolin sarcastically, "No! of course I didn't know!"

The loud and heavy footsteps of the mecha-suit stopped before it seemed to Rae that it turned. Her eyes widened and she turned to Korra. "She's pointing it at us, isn't she?" she asked as the low hum of the vine energy echoed around them.

"We gotta get out of here, now!" yelled Bolin as he leaned down and brought his face next to Rae, "Now!"

The Guardian gripped the saddle tighter and closed her eyes. She brought her knees closer to her chest and lay down on the saddle as the bison flew forward. She heard the people around her yell, mostly Bolin, but she was frozen in her spot. The only thing she tried to concentrate on was the bison's heartbeat, but it was too, heretical, so the woman just decided to tighten her grip on the saddle, wait and hope for them to land safely.

"I'm never getting on a sky bison again," muttered Rae once the atmosphere had seemed to calm down.

When they landed, Asami helped the older woman down. Rae's limps were shaking and the moment her boots touched the ground, she let herself fall on her knees, her hands caressing the dust. While Korra and the brothers told Raiko about what they saw, Asami stayed with Rae. The young woman helped the Guardian up, and Rae wiped off the dust from her palms on her green, Zaofu style blouse. She walked towards the group and listened closely to what was being said.