Layers Of Truth

Apparently, she was shot dead. There were signs of struggle which meant she tried to save herself but her assailer was more powerful than her.  

Sylvia's murder had triggered a lot of questions. Clearly, the woman had not run away from him but from someone else. And the person had caught her before he could. Who killed her? Fransisco? But that made no sense. The woman had already spilled everything than what was the point of killing her now? It served no purpose. Or maybe she had something more to tell. 

Danzel sighed and dialed Jacques, his PI. 

"Sylvia is murdered," Danzel told him. A momentary silence fell on the other side before the man spoke up. 

"How? who did it?" the man sounded confused. 

"Well, that's your job to find out. I want every detail, Jacques. This news has changed everything," a thoughtful look in his eyes as he uttered the words. 

"What do you mean?" 

"I think we are missing something. There is more to it," his voice turned deep as his brain ran a hundred miles per hour.  

"Missing?" 

"Why was she killed now?" Danzel queried, thinking hard. 

 "Maybe for her betrayal." 

"Why wait for her to abscond then? They could have killed her when she was here," 

"  What do you think?" 

" I think she knew something or maybe..maybe her statement was fabricated," Danzel replied.  

"Why would she do that?"

"Maybe someone had told her to do that," Danzel stood in front of his floor-to-ceiling office window that looked over New York, and lit a cigarette. 

"I get your point but what enmity can someone have with a mute?" Danzel didn't like him calling her mute but his question was valid. What malice can one have against someone like her?  

"And also all the evidence are pointing at her," Jacques reminded him. 

"You know it better than anyone that proofs can easily be tampered with," Danzel exhaled the smoke through his mouth and nose. 

"Yes, but not CCTVs. You saw her talking to the man who had tampered with the breaks. All those evidences can't be just a coincidence," Jacques didn't want to accept that his investigation was wrong. 

"Maybe she was trapped," Danzel narrowed his eyes, thinking as it clicked him all of a sudden. 

"What?" 

"Jacques, I want you to reinvestigate everything. Do it from the start and run every detail, big or small, significant or insignificant, every evidence by me," his deep voice resonated with authority and control.  

"Alright. I'll reinvestigate everything," Jacques answered. Danzel disconnected the call and slid down his phone into his pocket. 

He put the burning stick on his lips and drew a deep drag while staring out the large window. The sight was beautiful. It seemed as if stars were glittering down below. But his focus wasn't on the breathtaking view in front of him. Her innocent face continued to flash in front of his eyes. 

.....

The pending work kept him in his office all night long. He returned home in the morning. He could have rested in his penthouse like previous times that set atop his office building but he chose not to. This time his mansion held a special allure.