chapt 20 • Focus

All heads turned to Adeline standing in the doorway as she motioned and requested me to follow her and take my bag with me

"The Headmaster is waiting for you in his office" Her heels clicked on the glossy, wood floors with each step she took. Her auburn hair drifted down her back in a tight braid, never once have I seen it down in its natural state.

She opened the door for me and shut it when I entered. Carter Rivers sat behind his desk with his usual attire and cross necklace, besides him was one of the figurines Grandma tried to put in my room which I had to take down and hide them.

"Please take a seat" His eyes haven't left the papers in front of him, I glance over them quickly and find my name and photo on the top corners.

"These months have gone by fast... the year however is still not over and we still have a time before it is up. But, due to your recent raise in academic grades and feedback from your Professors, and the request from your Pastor... the council has decided to lift your probation" He turns the paper over with his signature at the bottom.

"This is only a two-month probation lift, they want to see your behavior first before they fully lift it. I sent a copy out to your parents and they returned it disagreeing with the decision but you are old enough to sign things in your name" I'm not surprised to hear neither Grandma nor Father wanted me to have my freedom, still trying to control me though I'm across the sea from them.

I sign my name underneath his, "You can start going out starting Saturday. If we see your improvement in academics stay the same or rise, then we'll take off the probation permanently. If you fail to meet the requirements then the probation will continue"

"This is giving me nostalgia, do you have this same message pre-recorded or something?" Carter makes no effort to roll his eyes or crack a smile, just an extremely blank stare.

"One day you're going to laugh, it's good for the soul just like prayers" He reaches for his bible and waits for me to leave when I get up from the chair and make my way to the door.

"See you in another two months" I shut the door, Adeline was still waiting for me outside the door.

"Since you've become one of my sister's friends, her priorities seem to be elsewhere. Our parents don't appreciate her focusing on things that are unimportant" Her hands are just braced in front of her, her tone strict but soft, but not as soft as Charolette's voice.

"Is this your way of saying you want me to stop being her friend?"

"I want you to stop distracting her, our parents are really worried for her" I move past her.

"I'm sure they are" She catches on to my tone, her eyebrows squint together.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Try talking to your sister for once, as her sibling instead of as the Headmaster's assistant" I leave her there, stunned. I can hear her call me to explain what she means and I walk away to let her figure it out on her own.