Epilogue

Epilogue

Three months passed quickly, too quickly.

The Fire Nation capital was filled with celebrations. The people were on the streets, laughing, eating, and drinking as the bells of the Fire Temple chimed without rest. The sun was starting to set, casting a warm red and orange shadow over the Fire Nation Palace. The sight was truly mesmerizing. The lanterns were floating around the city, the banners around the palace alternating between the fire nation's, the United Republic's and Zaofu's emblems.

The main hall of the Fire Temple was filled with people from all over the world. There was no delimitation of the seats, no seating chart to be followed, everyone was just enjoying the presence of the others. In the front seats, right before the altar, were the most important people, all gathered together. Toph Beifong was seated on the far-right side of the bench, her two daughters on each side of her. Suyin's family was behind her, on the second row, accompanied by none other than some of the airbending family on one side, Katara, Chief Sokka and Warrior Suki on the other.

Back to the front row, next to Lin, was an empty seat, that none would take. A single lotus flower was placed on it with a card. Only one name was written on it in beautiful calligraphy, and Lin Beifong tried hard not to show emotion at the memory of her late husband, the bride's father. On the other side of the small pathway left in the middle, still on the first row, was another empty seat, awaiting its owner that had yet to arrive, and next to it was an emotional Meelo and his father.

Bolin, Mako and Asami found a few seats on the second row. Bolin was seated next to Opal, yet Mako and Asami found themselves on the other side of the path, emotionally sitting in silence next to Warrior Suki. Varrick and Zhu Li, newly married too, had just returned from their honeymoon to be part of the exceptional ceremony. They were seated next to the bride's grandparents, from her father's side, that were only attending to make a good impression, the couple having shut off their connections with the bride long before her father died.

On the altar, the fire sage was preparing the two golden rings with the help of Fire Lord Izumi while Iroh was trying hard to keep his face void of emotion, knowing that it would be impossible to do so when his eyes would fall on her figure. Lord Zuko was nowhere in sight, which made some of the guests, even the groom himself, question the Fire Lord. But the woman only shared a knowing glance with Lin Beifong.

In a wide dressing room only a few steps away from the ceremony hall, the bride's gown was still being changed. The deep red fabric hugged her body gracefully, and the two handmaids wouldn't stop adding details to it. The golden details were shining in the light, and the metal accessories that were placed all over the gown made it look heavy. But Rae Beifong-Akemi adored it.

A pair of metal heels were in her feet, made by Asami specifically for this occasion. From her neck and earlobes hung beautiful jewelry pieces and her hair was twisted around two kanzashi gracefully. A small pin was placed in her snow white hair, the golden flame insignia shining in the light.

A knock resonated around them, and one of the handmaids ran swiftly to the door while the other continued placing small golden threads in Rae's hair. The handmaid's eyes widened when she saw who knocked and she bowed her head before opening the door wide. Lord Zuko stepped in and his eyes fell on Rae.

"Avatar Korra has just arrived," he said with a small smile before extending his hand to the woman, "shall we?"

Rae gave a small nod and stepped off the small pedestal the handmaid put her on. Her hand found Lord Zuko's and she placed her palm around his elbow as the two walked towards the ceremony hall in silence. The moment they stopped in front of the closed doors; Rae released a shaking breath. The sound of a harp and a pipe organ echoed from beyond the door, making the woman's eyes widen slightly as she seemed to realized what was about to happen.