12

a/n: hey everyone! i know this is a late update-- i've been incredibly busy all last month and have been wanting to write more but just have been so so drained. i feel rejuvenated now though and so excited to see how this plays out! anyway, enjoy. i hope you're all doing well :)

I watch the sunlight hit the wing of the jet and reflect off the metal. before we've even landed, I can practically feel the warmth of the Los Angeles sun in my mind. even though we're here for a case, all I can think about is how much nicer the weather will be.

"the light will damage your eyes." Reid's voice across from me jolts me back to reality. he redirects me to the chess board, where he's apparently already made his move and is waiting for me to do the same.

I frown. "whatever."

normally, there'd be some kind of clock to keep track of our moves, but Spencer has been keeping our progress slow. it's appreciated, as I'm still familiarizing myself with the rules of the game and different playing strategies. of course, I want to be good, but it's much easier said than done.

"looking forward to LA?" I ask to bide my time while the doctor stares at the board. he rests his knuckles beneath his chin, then looks up at me. the dimming light catches his eyes in a honeyed tone.

"it's okay, as long as we're not outside often."

"okay, Dracula." I tease. he sighs the kind of sigh he does when he has a lot to say but doesn't want to compact all of it for the rest of us ordinary people to understand.

"I just don't like the heat."

"good thing you moved to DC." I reply sarcastically.

he seems like he wants to say something in response, then decides against it. instead, he taps a long finger on the wooden board. "pay attention."

"I don't wanna do this anymore, Spence." I whine. just then, JJ passes by with a cup of coffee and rests her hand on the top of my seat.

"do what?"

"chess," Spencer gives her a look asking for help before turning his gaze back to me. "you can't just give up every time something gets hard."

"I can if it's something I don't care about," I roll my eyes. "he keeps beating me, too. it's defeating."

"then play smarter." Reid gives me a challenging smile.

"give her a break, Reid." JJ musses his hair as she walks past him and to her own spot. as Spencer fixes it with a blush, I push down my frustration. I know this is his specialty, but it's not mine and I'm tired.

I give him something of a pleading expression before leaning back in my seat with arms folded. he stares at me for a minute-- or through me, really-- and then to the board. I try to reorient myself and give it another shot, my fingertips pressing impatiently into the surface of the table.

"queen to h4." it comes out while Spencer coughs, the directions clear as day. he lifts his attention to me again and I look at him with confusion. is he really going to let me win? do I even want it?

I want a nap more.

with a satisfying click, I do as he says and trap him. Spencer shakes his head and lets out a breath. "wow."

"shut up." I pick up the pawns and slide them back into the little velvet pouch that they came in. Reid pulls a book out of his bag and opens it, but not before sneaking a small smile over the rim of the pages.

he knows what I'm going to say. "thanks."

"mhmm." he goes back to reading.

the smugness lingers in the air until I eventually doze off to the sound of the engine and the turning of pages.