20 Questions

The two of you stayed just like that, each leaning on an arcade machine and talking mindlessly. You talked about your past, why you'd moved to Utah, his obsession with foxes, school, and anything else that came to mind.

"Favorite color?" He quizzed you. You laughed before giving him the answer he wanted.

You thought for a moment before asking your question. "Favorite book?"

He made a face. "What do you take me for, Y/N? Some literature nerd?"

"Oh come on," You rolled your eyes. "You don't have to act all cool around me. Just answer the question: what's your favorite book?"

He was quiet for a moment, thinking. "The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison."

"Interesting choice, blue-eyes," You teased, though you really weren't expecting that answer. "I didn't take you for the type to be so involved in novels about the hardships of black women."

Michael made a face, though he didn't say anything. "What about you then? What's your favorite book?"

You really didn't have to think about it too hard. While the book itself may not have been entirely great, the main character reminded you a lot of Michael, and something about that made it seem so much more special to you. "Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger." You stated simply.

"What about the future?" Michael asked (even though it wasn't his turn), kicking one of his legs up against the machine. "You know, what do you want to do for a living? Besides babysitting."

You laughed a little at the thought. "Well, I guess I don't really know for sure yet. Babysitting is fun though." You shot him a glance with a little smile. "It's even proved to have some perks already."

Michael blushed and looked away. "This? It's just a crappy diner," He said, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. "I'd hardly call it a perk."

"Oh come on," You teased. "So far I've gotten free pizza, a free tour, and free reign over the arcade."

"Except you keep losing." He laughed. You rolled your eyes and laughed with him.

"What about you?" You asked. "Do you have any plans for the future?"

He sighed, shifting his gaze to the ceiling in thought. "Well... I hate the idea of college, if I'm being honest. I think I would just help out around here. Stay with my family, y'know?"

"I get it." You joined him in looking up at the pale tiled ceiling, though you took note of a few questionable brown stains. "I don't want to leave my mom behind either."

He hummed, still lost in thought.

Your eyes fell on a clock on a distant wall, depicting the time to be right around 3:30. Oh how time flies when you're having fun. You didn't really want to leave, but after spending 3 hours at the diner, you were feeling drained. Somehow, Michael seemed to sense your tiredness.

"We can head out now, if you're ready." He held his hand out gently, waiting for your response.

You took his hand into your own, intertwining your fingers once again. "I think that's a great idea."

The two of you walked hand-in-hand out of the arcade room and back into the main dining area. Michael told you that he wanted to tell Gregory a quick good-bye before the two of you left, saying that he always did it out of a courtesy of sorts.

You made your way to the counter where Gregory looked like he was about to fall over from a lack of sleep. Miraculously he noticed the two of you walking towards him and he stood up straight, fixing a smile onto his face.

"Well! If it isn't Michael and Y/N!" He glanced down between the two of you, taking note of your interlocked hands. A smug grin spread across his face as he looked to Michael.

"We're heading out," Michael told him. "I just wanted to come and tell you a quick goodbye."

"Of course, bro!" He came out from behind the counter, brushing some stray crumbs off of his pants. "Say, you make sure to bring Y/N back sometime. They're a lot better than the crowd you normally run with."

He rolled his eyes in response. "Who's the adult here, Gregory? I don't need to take advice from you." Gregory laughed, though you noticed a hint of hurt behind his eyes. What was that all about?

"Right, right. Well, get out of here ya crazy kids! I have to get back to work." He winked, skipping back to where he stood previously behind the counter.

As you walked towards the door, the tree of you waved at one another. When you and Michael reached the glass doors, you noticed the weather outside. At some point while you had been inside, it had started pouring down rain. Hard. Why did the weather have to be like that? You could've sworn it was sunny when you woke up this morning...

Michael slid his leather jacket off his shoulders, offering it to you. "Here, so you don't get all wet."

You pushed his extended hand away. "Are you kidding? No way! I'll be fine."

"You're so stubborn," He groaned.

"And so are you!" You shot back.

He stared at the jacket for a moment before sighing. "How about a compromise, then? I hold one end over me, you hold the other end over you. We'd have to stand pretty close together for it to work, though."

A light blush crossed your face, but you tried not to think about it. You and Michael had been close plenty of times before. He lifted the jacket over his head, and you stood next to him, taking the right side into your hand.

"On three, we run out to your car." He said.

"One..."

"Two..."

"Three!" The two of you raced to your car, giggling the entire way. The jacket only slightly protected you from the downpour, but something was better than nothing, right? You split up once you reached the car, Michael taking his jacket with him as he rushed to climb inside. You both slammed your doors shut, laughing at one another's appearances.

"Your hair looks awful," you teased, reaching out and flicking a strand.

He quickly swatted your hand away. "Oh come on, like yours is any better." He ruffled your wet hair, effectively creating a mess.

For a moment, the two of you sat in silence, drinking in each other's appearances. Michael's hair really didn't look that bad, though it was sticking to his skin now. His cheeks were wet from rain, and his faded gray t-shirt was now soaked. Your eyes wandered back up to his face, where you noticed his eyes flick down to your lips for a quick moment.

Before you could talk yourself out of it, you leaned forward and kissed Michael Afton.