57 ➣ outro: letter by the water

dear jeno,

dear jeno,

i hope this letter finds you in good health- acutally, scratch that, i sound like a medieval doctor.

anyway, before i even say anything i want you to know i'm sorry. i'm sorry for every dirty look, every vile word that came out of my mouth all those years ago... and most of all,

i'm sorry i let you go.

i regret it, now more than ever. i know you hate me so fucking much right now— and for good reason at that— but i need you to know.

you were the first person i fell in love with.

and it all started with that smile.

that damn smile.

i was confused. you made me feel things i had never felt, see things i couldn't see before... in short, you made me view life in a different light. my world seemed so much brighter with you in it.

and i was the one who put that light out, not you.

me. it was always me. and all because i was so scared of what my asshole of a father would do. at the time, it seemed like he would kill both you and me just because of a stupid crush i let myself have on his best friend's son.

and i'm about to say 'fuck it' with my next sentence so please don't find my address and murder me after you read it.

truth is, i still love you. i've always loved you.

and i will always.
choose.
you.

yours truly,
mark.

fresh tears tainted the yellowed paper, pouring down over the red tinted letters as the ink began smudging a bit. it ran across the surface, each droplet creating a dark spot which seemed to consume his thoughts as it entranced him completely.

strands of blue fell across his eyes, pools of onyx void of their everlasting shine as they focused on the words written so messily. the message was there, right in front of him. but instead of the relief of finally knowing why he was ripped away from those he loved, all he had was anger.

heartbreak.

in a fit of rage, he tore the small paper up completely, watching as the rain soaked it up and ruined it forever.

he wanted answers.

he needed answers.

and he thought that maybe, just maybe, reading the letter his childhood best friend— the one who made him lose everything in the end— left for him all those years ago would finally give him the answers he searched for.