Chapter Five ۞ Realization

Valeriana was a little dazed as she descended the mountain with the beast. The onslaught of new information she got today was a little bit too much for her to handle, add in the fact that she might die if this little purification thing going on continued and that what she had known the entire time had been a lie! If the Twelve was not twelve and actually thirteen, what was she going to make of it? If there were actually thirteen people, who in the world was the thirteenth?

"Alright, so I made a few tweaks from Corvan's suggestions, but fact is, I need to tell you lot that if you aren't telling me anything yet, this will be the best time to tell it." Charles started, crossing his arms as everyone sat like Indians, forming a circle around the fire.

"Um . . . has anyone seen Gen?" Zevlin inquired, leaning over slightly and raising his hand as he looked around to search for his twin sister.

"I sent Brindon to find her and that blue-haired mongrel." Charles impatiently answered. "Now we don't have time for this. We're running out of daylight and I'm sure all of you are itching for the action, so speak up."

"Geez! You're in an awfully bad mood today. Don't act like you have a stick shoved up you—"

"Don't dare finish that sentence, Tamara." The fourth said warningly, glaring at her that it burned holes through her head. The third only rolled her eyes at this and threw back her hands to lean on them as she reclined backwards.

"This conversation again." Aneeka sighed. "Those two, really."

"You can't help it." Rowe said, smiling like always. "Charles and Tamara will be Charles and Tamara like it will be Valeriana and Corvan, Zevlin and Genevieve, and you and me."

"Ew. Stop it you two." Elfre gagged. "This is supposed to be a group meeting, don't forget everybody else exists."

They all laughed at the seventh's humorous declaration, filling the entire area with a jubilant atmosphere while they waited for the other three to arrive.

"Oh but I must disagree." Raziel quipped. "What's more splendid than showing your romantic involvement publicly?"

It wasn't more than a second later when they saw Genevieve and the two other boys treading through the snow and entering their makeshift home.

"Sorry for taking long." Genevieve told them, her expression nonchalant as she squeezed between Zevlin and Keelan. Brindon sat back on the spot left vacant for him while Zion chose to occupy the space against the wall, a bit more isolated from the rest.

"Alright. I'll repeat what I said a while ago." Charles was a little impatient. "I—"

"Let me do the talking." Corvan took the initiative. Automatically, all eyes turned to him. "We have the roughest outline of the whole thing planned, but there are still a few factors we need to consider. Cifaro, do you really require to have your entire pack purified?"

'Yes, but I will do so myself. As the only survivor of this wretched mess, it is my responsibility. I do not require for the girl to do it for me. Also, I do not wish to take a direct part in this fight. I do not wish to harm my brothers.'

"How exactly are you going to do that?"

The beast threw its head back to its full height and eyed each of the Twelve, including Zion. 'I may not have been strong enough to become the leader of this pack, but I was strong enough to play the role of the cleric. If you can keep the ice from sealing the lake, I might tap into its spiritual facet, helping purify them.'

"What about the spring stuff?" Keelan quipped. "Didn't you need say so yourself?"

'That will be my problem to mind, young one.' Cifaro answered, giving him a small sideway glance. 'Do not worry thyself over it.'