Welcome To The Dollhouse (15)

As anticipated, Mr.LaRusso kept his promise. In the spacious dining room sat Amanda, Daniel, Kat, Sam, and Robby, with Anthony, Sam's brother playing his DSI on the couch. Apparently, the snarky asshole didn't like Japanese food, his loss.

"So, Katherine—" Amanda hesitated, the corners of her lips curled up. "You go to West Valley with Robby and Sam?" She asked while taking a swig of her drink.

Before stuffing another California roll in her mouth, Kat replied, "Yeah, I do." She confessed, continuing to devour the California roll plastered between her chopsticks.

"I'm glad to know that Sam has made new friends. You seem like a sweet girl, Katherine." Amanda assured the girl while fiddling with her chopsticks. 

Kat coyly nodded. "Thank you, Mrs.LaRusso. I'm happy to be here." She stared down at her lap before continuing, "and if it's no trouble. Could you call me Kat, or Katie, anything except Katherine, please?"

Mrs.LaRusso's eyes shot from the chopsticks she struggled to use and looked curiously at Kat. "Oh, it's no problem at all. If I may ask, why is that? Katherine is such a beautiful name for an equally beautiful girl."

Kat couldn't help but shift uncomfortably in her seat. She awkwardly laughed to avoid the awkwardness of the situation. "Well, the man who named me was a deadbeat. A cold, heartless deadbeat with an absurd amount of money and power. It was weeks before my mom gave birth to me that he insisted she had an abortion. Instead, he paid her off, waived any rights he had about me, and then fled the country."

The entire table went quiet. To nobody's surprise, the silence was eerie, almost unnaturally quiet. A pin could've fallen onto the floor, and that would've been louder than the nothingness that echoed through the home.

Daniel was the first to break the eerie silence. "I'm going to get a bottle of wine. Anyone interested?" He looked around the room. The teenagers surrounding the table had mixed reactions. "I'm kidding!" He exclaimed, throwing his hands up in surrender.

The remainder of the night was peaceful, at best, not awkward. Until, of course, Kat decided to take a shower.

"Hey, Sam. Can I take a shower? I feel sticky from when we trained earlier. It's not sweat, but I—" She trailed off before Sam interjected. "No! I heard enough. The shower is all yours!" She cried out, laughing.

Kat bounced her head in triumph as she paced to the bathroom across the hall from Sam's room. In the bathroom was a pristine porcelain toilet made for royalty. The shower was somehow even fancier than the rest of the house. She took her plain black headband off and proceeded to strip herself of her remaining clothing, all except her undergarments, a simple bra, and panties. The bathroom was soundless, aside from the light tapping of her feet as she walked across the tile floor.

Without warning, the bathroom door swung open and revealed Robby. His eyes were droopy from the countless amount of housework he did with Mr. LaRusso, and he wanted nothing more to piss the pain away. With this, he hadn't noticed the nearly nude girl in front of him. It wasn't until he heard a loud gasp that his eyes widened before accidentally trailing her body. Robby stood paralyzed with shock and angst. He then squeezed his eyes shut and used his only working arm to slam the door closed.

Robby stumbled with his words. "I-oh my god, Kat! I am so sorry. I-" he tried squeezing the image from his mind. It was no use, however, and the lace trim of her bra and her surprised expression remained embedded in his mind.

Unlike Robby, Kat laughed at his reaction before locking the bathroom door. "Boys," she muttered, stripping her undergarments off and tossing them with her other clothes.