60: Liang Huan's Beginning; Liang Huan's journal part 2

Meng Yao was giving the book in his hand a confused look. It was a Western style journal rather than a Chinese scroll. Jia Yi walked in and realized that Meng Yao seemed a little perplexed.

"Yaoyao, is something the matter?”

"Jiajia," Meng Yao looked up at Jia Yi and then back at the journal, "I am torn. I want to read this – but I also don’t. I’m a bit afraid.”

"Hmm, why?" Jia Yi was startled. In his experience, Meng Yao was never afraid.

"If I read this, I have the feeling that all my current beliefs will be shattered," Meng Yao confessed slowly, still staring at the journal with a mixture of desire and rejection.

"Why don’t you think about it for a while longer? Take a break and relax your mind first. You don’t need to make such a quick decision, after all. You can wait until you are truly ready to face what is in this book – or you can choose to remain ignorant. Whatever you choose, just know that I am here, always," Jia Yi advised, placing a gentle kiss on Meng Yao’s temple.

Meng Yao smiled; feeling like a burden had been released. He put down the journal, ate dinner with his wife and spent several hours that night showing his wife how much he loved him. But after only a few hours of sleep, Meng Yao woke up. It was as if the journal was pulling him. He needed to know what was in it – his curiosity would allow nothing less.

Meng Yao lit a gas lamp, realizing that this was probably another of Minister Liang’s inventions. He turned the knob for the gas so that the light was low and unlikely to disturb his wife before opening the journal. Preparations made; Meng Yao began to read.

Hello, my name is Liang Huan.

If the one reading this is my son Meng Yao, who is only but a week old now, it must mean my premonition was right and I have either died or disappeared.

I'm writing this to you, Yaoyao, in case I cannot tell you these things in person or have failed to. I want you to know that if I haven’t already told you what’s in here that I did so for your sake.

I am a Minister in the Qing Empire – or I was before eloping with the love of my life, the Crown Prince of that Empire, Zhong Xiao Si.  We are currently living a simple life in hiding. You have barely been born and he loves you so dearly I hardly get a chance to hold you myself. In my 23 years of life, your birth is both my happiest and saddest event.

Note to you; If you have your daddy’s temper please be a little more discreet about it – especially if you’re a martial artist! hahaha

Meng Yao, your father is a stranger to this world. This is not where I was born, although I believe it's where I originated. You must be confused; right? I am just as confused. I'm still trying to put the pieces together myself, but haven't gotten very far.

I was born on a world we call “Earth” and grew up in a place called “China”. I was raised by a cranky man who hates me – and all men – and I still am not sure of the reason for that.

I am not my mother's child but I am my father's son. Even so, my mother treats me better than my father does. I mentioned already that my father hates me. He and mother had three daughters who were all younger than I was. Father didn’t hate them. He treated them like princesses while I was treated like a slave.

As I grew up, in addition to making me responsible for all the chores in the house, Father also taught me strange skills. Many of them he got from the internet. I learned basic mechanical skills, finance, and military strategies. Father had me trained in martial arts from the time I could walk. He personally taught me to hunt, track, clean and prepare prey and other skills for surviving in primitive conditions. Any mistake I made – any delay in mastering a skill – brought brutal abuse. Throughout all of this, I watched as my sisters were pampered and spoiled. I wanted nothing more than to vanish from that world of misery.