7🔸The Swayamvar

Draupadi

Draupadi

All my life I had been preparing myself for this day, the day when the purpose of my birth finally be fulfilled or would it?

There was always a question mark. I mean my father decided to marry me off to some prince who was probably dead.

No.

I scolded myself for even thinking like that, It was my father's dream and it should be fulfilled.

Arjun has to come.

Leaving all the bad thoughts behind, I looked at my reflection. My maids spent hours to make me look beautiful and well, they did a good job.

I was adorned with almost all kind of ornaments a human can wear, My long bluish dark hair was done in a single braid which was wrapped with a thick garland of jasmine while my long curly locks drooped around my bronzed cheeks. The off-white lehenga went well with my complexion.

"It's going to be alright Princess" Malini said with an assuring smile as she placed the transparent off-white chunni over my head. Even they seemed to notice the sweats that had beaded on my forehead.

"I don't know Malini, I was perfectly fine, even yesterday but now all these bad thoughts are getting on my nerves"

From the very moment I stepped into this earth, I was told Prince Arjun would be my husband and I was born for him, If I say it didn't irked me to think that my purpose of life was just marrying someone, it would be a lie but after hearing it for years even I started to believe it

"Rajkumari... Now it's time" They all smiled and I placed my hand on my chest trying to clam my heart beat down, taking a deep breath I rose to my feet.

"You need to walk with this" They handed me a golden dish which bore a beautiful white garland on it.

My gaze lingered on the beautiful white garland for a few moments. This garland would change my life and in my heart of hearts I prayed that no one but only Arjun's neck should be adorned by it.

"Already dreaming what it would feel like to garland Arjun? " Vishakha winked

"No I was thinking how peaceful my life would be without your teases" I parodied throwing a glare at her.

"Ouch" She wiped an fake tear whole we giggled.

Although I was used to walk in heavy garments but well, this lehenga outstood every lehenga I'd ever worn. Thankfully Malini and others were there to support me from my each side.

As we were about to enter in the main hall Dhrisht came and the girls backed away slightly.

"I can't believe it's the day" He said with a faint smile, I could feel the pain in the smile. I couldn't remember a single day that we didn't spend time together, No matter how busy he was.