II. twenty

┍━━━━━━━━━━━╝✤╚━━━━━━━━━━━┑

━━━━━━━ ✤ ━━━━━━━

She sat with him at a table in her café & bookshop. Ate from the vanilla affogato he had bought for her, but every spoonful seemed to be forced. He couldn't help but notice the clench of her jaw and the slow swallows of her throat. But still, she continued to take and take more. As if the only way for her to get rid of that displeasure was to leave the glass empty.

"Ms. Hong." He said, aware that he hadn't known her for long. They weren't even acquainted enough to be friends.

He knew he didn't have the right to look at her and expect an answer. But he went ahead and asked anyway, "What's wrong?"

She licked away the last of the dessert from her lips and met his eyes at once. "Nothing," she breathed it out so easily, "everything's fine."

A well practiced response. Such a detached explanation shouldn't have surprised him, but it did. Especially after knowing what her drunken laughter sounded like. After seeing her face light up with a widened smile, even if it was usually at his expense. How she'd always been hesitant and distant—but never so unfeeling...

Because even if they weren't friends, they were surely more than the strangers she was now making him out to be.

It surprised him to look at her and not see a trace of the mischievous spark in her eyes that no matter how annoying, he still grew to be fond of.

It was strange. The realization that in such a short time, he'd actually grown fond of her. Of the other tenants of Geumga Plaza. Not just the gold.

It was something he couldn't have expected. An uncomfortable knot only tightened around his heart, and it hurt—the death of a good and decent man like Lawyer Hong Yuchan.

The urge to want to do something about it and help, only to be met with nothing but distrust from them. It shouldn't be this frustrating to him, but it was.

"If you'll excuse me, Mr. Cassano. I have work to do." Ms. Hong stood up from her seat. Grabbed her trenchcoat from where it had been draped over the chair's backrest. With it folded over her right forearm, she held herself still for another moment as she remembered something.

"Oh, and this is for you—" Ms. Hong dug a hand into her coat's pocket and pulled out a small, clear acrylic box.

Vincenzo looked at the enamel pin handed to him, similar to the one she had pinned to the side of her shirt over her heart. Except this one was in the shape of a chess pawn piece and not a King, like hers.

"For me?" He felt right in assuming.

The ravenhead simply nodded. Her next string of words came down on him like a blow. Unexpectedly, even though he should've seen it right away, as the weight of a gift he'd thought was for him now sat uncomfortably in the palm of his hand.