Chapter Eighteen: Fully Bonded

*A week later*

*******Jungkook's POV*******

"What's wrong with them?" I heard Joon asking the doctor.

"I honestly don't know," the doctor said. "I can't find any medical reason for their voices to be going like that. There's no bruising or swelling of the tissue. There's no blisters or redness. There's no vocal nodules. I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss."

Hobi and I were lying in bed, curled into each other. We weren't really sick. We felt fine. But two days ago, we both started to lose our voices. I could barely get out a whisper now, and my poor soulmate was croaking out every word.

I heard Joon sigh and he looked at us, then back at the doctor. "Anything that I say is confidential, right?"

"You are not my patient. But if it involves them, then yes."

"They found their soulmate."

"They both found their soulmates at the same time?" The doctor asks, a little surprised. Finding your soulmate was rare enough in the first place.

"Ah...No. But also...yes. Somehow, they are part of a 3-piece soulmate bond," he tried to explain.

"But that's impossible," the doctor said, looking over at us.

"Impossible as it may seem, it's the truth," I  told the doctor. "Do you think that that could have anything to do with this."

"Let me see if I'm understanding," the doctor said as he rubbed at his temples. "Hoseok and Jungkook are soulmates?" Namjoon nodded. "And they have a third soulmate?" He nodded again. "Is this other person a..." The doctor left room for Joon to fill in the blank.

"A girl? Yes."

"Where is she now?" The doctor asked.

"On a cruise ship that's currently docked in Shanghai, from what I've heard," Joon tells him.

The doctor sighs. "Do you know if they are fully-bonded?"

"What do you mean?" Joon asked him.

"I mean have they..."

"Yes," I heard Hobi say from beside me. His voice sounded like he has smoked 4 packs a day for 50 years, then had his throat ripped out, run over by a truck, and put back in his body.

The doctor looked at Hobi and I for a moment, then nodded his head. "When soulmates are fully-bonded, when their souls have truly become one, it is extremely difficult for them to be apart. We have been researching for years to try to figure out why, when, how long. But all we've come up with is this: If your soulmate is gone for an extended period of time, you will start to lose something else that you love deeply as well. In Hoseok and Jungkook's case, it seems to be their music. It's like the Universe is reminding you that you need your soulmate to be happy."

"You're saying that they can't talk or sing because she's been gone for a week?" Joon asks him.

"That's exactly what I'm saying," He told Joon. "They have a rather mild case, because the two of them are bonded. I would imagine that their soulmate is faring much worse at the moment."

"So if she were to come back..." Joon asked, leading the question.

"Then the problem should right itself," the doctor said. "They should get their voices back."

I flicked my eyes to Hobi and I could see that he was thinking the same thing as me. If we're this bad, then what is Mairette going through?

*********************************