Chapter Twenty

~Amelie's POV~

He was fidgeting.

His legs were shaking, his fingers scrabbling at the fabric of his new jeans.

He didn't like the soft jogging bottoms we bought him. He can only wear them for short bursts before getting irritable and antsy. It took a couple of days before he opened up and told me that they were too soft. Too comfortable.

It broke my heart that his body couldn't adapt to even the smallest level of comfort - a single pair of trousers made him too upset to talk.

It wasn't the only thing that upset him.

He was torn about James Barnes. He was more tolerant of Steve, but still acted wary whenever we were in the same room together. He didn't want to admit he had a past before being the Winter Soldier; I had a feeling it was too much to comprehend.

But being locked indoors was getting to him. He had to spend a day recovering after his four day stint in the sick room, and then promptly spent 48 hours in the gym.

I didn't leave his side, and it was that fact only that convinced him to come back to bed with me when it grew dark outside and the stars began twinkling against the night sky.

"One more day Winter," I offered him the last strand of hope, the single piece of knowledge that seemed to relax his taut shoulders under his top.

"Why don't we go to the pool? I think Mum said that we could block it out so no-one would come in and see us. Just us two, and a lot of space."

He turned slowly from the chair he was perched on the edge of, his eyes meeting mine rather than the view of the street outside.

His lips opened momentarily, his eyes straying to the wall before he closed his mouth.

"I want to swim Winter... why don't you come with me, and you can read a book and sit by the side?"

His lips were pursed, brows drawn down to meet in a crinkle over his nose. He was not impressed with the idea.

I sighed, and stood up, trying to twist out the ache that was settling between my shoulder blades. Being on the run with Winter had accustomed by body to a certain level of, well... running.

Exercise of any kind really. And I had spent a week sitting pretty much still, and my body was screaming for a chance to burn some energy.

"Okay."

I turned to look at him, the resigned acceptance lingering between us.

"Okay then." I forced a smile, "do you want to pick a book?"

I watched his back as he stood in front of my limited selection of books. He was avoiding the Hobbit. He didn't want to remember any more about the fantastical world than the elves he'd spoken about.

I dug through the clothes Mum had brought for me. It surprised me more than it should have, that a swimming costume was not in my belongings. Nor had I thought to buy one.

"What's wrong?"

I turned to see Winter studying my face, his quizzical expression flickering around my features. "Nothing."

"What's wrong?" He repeated.

I shook my head, "I don't have a swimming costume. It's fine, we can just stay in here after all."

I slumped back down onto the bed, my hand reaching out for my laptop. But before my fingers could reach the edge, Winter had left the room with the door slamming behind him.

I paused, my heart thudding quicker as his fast exit sunk in. What had I done? I knew I was short with him - I was beginning to feel trapped in this room, even with the chance to leave tomorrow - was that enough to push him over the edge?