2.5

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

<2.5>
arrival and a necklace

THE DAY OF HER SISTER'S arrival came as quick as a blink. Petunia had been home alone, face planted against the window as she waited for her parents to come back from King's Cross.

The drive between the train station and Cokeworth, where she lives, was considerably long. However, the small girl hadn't left the window once — even as her bladder fought against her patience.

Petunia Evans kept her place on the soft couch, that would most certainly have an indention once she finally left, and continued to wait for her parents and sister to finally come home.

Everything remained calmly quiet.

         The rhythm of her breaths was the only signal that someone was, in fact, in the quiet home — and the same breaths would also continuously fog the cold window in front of her, blinding the girl from seeing any outside scenery.

But, she didn't seem to mind it too much.

She didn't mind it until a familiar noise of a car door echoed in front of her house and a blur of red had been spotted. With her eyes widening and her breath hitching, Petunia did not hesitate to run outdoors — her bared feet ignoring the ice cold snow as she ran up to her twin.

     And, again, although Lily's smile wasn't as large as her sisters, the girl still greeted her in a tight hug, ruffling the blonde's hair into more of a mess than it was before.

      Following the ladder, Petunia scoffed at the action, but found herself laughing it off — only being happy that her sister was finally home.

She could now talk too her.

      The lack of letters she had received the past few months were Petunia's excuse to converse with her sister. Since, though unknown to Lily, that was the only thing she wanted for Christmas.

To talk too her sister.

However, once they were back into the warm home and before Petunia could even speak, Lily opted to head into her bedroom, locking the door just before Petunia could follow.

     Then, as if Petunia was too scared to bug her sister, simply sighed as she trudged into the neighboring room, straight to her closet.

     Petunia's bedroom, which was cluttered with clothes and books, was similar to a maze when walking through it. Her short legs would barely be able to get over certain stacks, and a short yelp would escape her lips from time to time because of this.

    Nonetheless, she eventually made it to the other side of the room, and her closet door was harshly pulled open — knocking a pile of clothes over in the process.

    Her eyes scanned the dark, clothes-ridden closet and immediately found the small bag she'd received just days prior. And reaching for that bag, the blonde felt a sort of achievement when thinking about what was on the inside.

    A gift, that was paid with her own hard earned money, was just inside the paper bag, along with a matching one for herself.

To Petunia, she was hoping this gift, whenever her sister would wear it, would remind her of her family and life back home. These golden lockets, that were not filled with a picture yet, would remind Lily Evans to write back more than occasionally.

    Petunia Evans was never good at waiting, and  with the gift in front of her, she wasn't too sure she could wait to give her sister the gift.

However, going against her thoughts, she decided it wouldn't hurt to wear her own and simply just hide it underneath her blouse for the next twelve hours.

It would somewhat calm her patience for awhile.

So, without much thought, the girl removed one of the two necklaces in her palm and easily clasped the expensive chain around her neck.

She shivered at the contact.

      The coldness of the chain laid against Petunia's skin, causing light goosebumps to appear. Though, despite how cold the necklace truly was, her chest felt warm — happy that she would soon be able to share something like this with her sister.

     And with that, she tucked it into her pale colored blouse, ignoring her mother's calls for dinner. Instead, the blonde forced out a yawn and jumped into her unmade bed, not wanting to wait another minute for Christmas.

So, with much focus, she fell asleep.

P.EVANS + J.POTTER