ACT III: Lovers - Talking It Out

The two stared at one another, stunned. What were you supposed to say? Michael gently brought his fingertips up to his lips, as if he couldn't believe it was real.

"Y/N I-"

"I-I'm sorry," You cut him off, waving your hands in front of your face frantically. "I should have asked first, or–or, I shouldn't have done that at all, hell, I'm supposed to be your babysitter for goodness sake-"

You were cut off by Michael placing his hand on the back of your head and pulling you into another quick kiss. His lips were quite soft, you noted.

"Y/N." Michael's voice was more stern this time as he pulled away. "It's okay, really." He laughed a little, rubbing the back of his neck.

Well no shit, you thought, but you didn't say anything. You just nodded in response.

He stared at you again, blue eyes taking in every little detail about you. "So... are we gonna talk about it?"

"I think we kind of, um, have to talk about it." You responded, still fighting the blush on your cheeks. You shifted a little in your seat, preparing yourself mentally for what was probably going to be the most embarrassing talk in your life.

Michael's gaze shifted to look out of your windshield, watching some families head back to their respective cars to go back home. "Not to sound cheesy or anything, but I think I'm falling for you, Y/N."

A gentle laugh escaped your lips, though you knew you felt the same way. "We've only known each other for a week." You teased.

"Some people get married after only knowing each other for a few months," He offered, giving you a grin.

"I suppose I can't argue with that logic," You giggled. "I really like you too, Michael. A lot. Even if we've only known each other a week. You may be sarcastic and demanding sometimes, but you're also really sweet. Plus," You poked him in the chest, "you are a total softie. You just hide it."

He scoffed. "Me? Soft? No way in hell."

You smirked. "Oh yeah? What about when you played guitar for me and the kids? Or when you made us breakfast? Or how about just now, when you offered me your jacket so I wouldn't get wet from the rain?"

"Maybe I'm a little soft." He admitted. "But you can't tell anyone about that."

You laughed at the thought, but agreed nonetheless. "Fine, fine. I can keep your little secret."

"Good." He stretched, apparently satisfied with how the conversation was going. "Look, I hate to ruin this moment, but I promised Ev and Liz I wouldn't be gone for too long so..."

"See?" You nudged him with your elbow. "Total softie."

He pushed you away playfully. "Just drive, will you?"

And you did. You let him pick the music once again, though you weren't paying enough attention to take note of what he was playing. All you could think about was the soft feeling of his lips on yours for the entire drive.

Before too long, you pulled up into that familiar driveway. The rain had calmed down from it's downpour into a light sprinkle. Michael turned to you, one hand on his door handle.

"I had fun today," He said, a dopey grin on his face. "We should do this again sometime, y'know..."

"Next time," You waved a finger in his face, "it's a date. Not a hang out."

If it was even possible, his grin became wider. "Yeah! Yeah–erm, of course. I'd like that."

Before he could open the door, you heard the sound of the front door frantically opening and closing. You turned to see Evan and Elizabeth rushing down the steps and to your car. You didn't have enough time to react, and before you knew it they were ripping your door open.

"Y/N! It's your day off!" Elizabeth huffed, placing her hands on her hips. "What are you doing here?"

Evan looked past you, seeing Michael in the passenger seat as he tried to hide himself under his jacket. "Mike...?"

Elizabeth wasted no time climbing up into your lap, Evan soon following suit. "You went out and played with Michael? No fair! You're supposed to play with all of us!"

"Now, now," Michael said, suddenly regaining confidence as though he hadn't just tried to hide from two children behind a leather jacket. "Y/N and I weren't playing without you guys! We were doing... um, boring adult stuff."

Elizabeth stuck her tongue out at her brother. "You liar! I'm telling daddy!" She slid off your leg and dashed off. Man, was she fast.

"Shit!" Michael opened the door and ran after her. He turned back to you as he reached the front door and waved, making you smile. "I'll see you on Monday, Y/N!"

He slammed the door behind him and ran inside. You couldn't help but giggle, though you hoped he wasn't going to get into any trouble with his dad. Evan was still on your lap, though, so you walked with him up to the door.

"I'll see you soon, okay bud?" You squatted down to his height and lightly ruffled his hair. He gave you an excited nod and ran inside.

You stared at the door for a moment. It was hard to believe that anything that happened today was real. It felt like some sort of dream, a funny little prank that the world was pulling on you. Michael Afton, the hottest boy you'd ever seen, was falling for you? How the hell had you managed that one? Just a few days ago he called you a bitch, and here you were, kissing him in your car just a few minutes ago.

You went home, still thinking about Michael. As you walked into the door of your house, you were greeted with the sight of your mother at the kitchen table, looking over some important looking papers with a cup of coffee next to her. "Oh, Y/N! You're home!"

She jumped up and pulled you into a big hug. "So, how was your little date?" She teased. Adrenaline ran through your veins as panic washed over you. "Oh come on now, don't be so surprised." Your mom cooed.

"What are you talking about?" You tried to play it off cool, but you were so nervous your voice started to shake.

She laughed a little. "I'm your mom, sweetie. Plus, you said you were going out with friends. I think you forgot the fact that you don't have any friends in Utah yet, dear. It doesn't take a detective to find out that you were with that Michael boy."

Your body slumped in a mixture of relief and defeat. At least she wasn't mad, right? She hummed a little as she went back to her seat, looking once again at whatever papers lay in front of her.

"We're still going out tomorrow for a little parent-child bonding time, right?"