Chapter 63 - "IV"

A Time Immemorial:
---

It has been three months since the Kaiser last saw his reflection in a mirror. It rested in a dark room, besides a large bed for three, opposite to an open window with its curtains closed. A lantern burned on top of a nightstand. Pillows were on the floor. Two blankets were situated in the room: one was a crumpled pile by the door; the other was, thankfully, on the bed. Talulah and Marzanna were sleeping together. Kaiser Rye was careful not to disturb them.

He stood in front of the mirror and took off his unbuttoned shirt. He could smell his family on his skin. An aroma of spring and kisses lingered in the air. Cozy as the room was, he could only think about his wife and daughter. He took a towel from a half-opened dresser and wiped the sweat off of his body.

In the mirror, imprints of arms and hands can be seen on his chest and abdomen. A scratch rested on his collar bone. The scratch would disappear in a few days. His hands were pink from holding on so long. And on his finger, was a ring made of pure diamond encased in gold. He chuckled to himself and turned to his face to the glass.

Golden eyes stared back at him. His pupils are as clear as a sunny sky; you can see an entire world inside them. His cheeks rose as he inspected his face. He removed any speck of facial hair with a pocket knife. He traced his jaw and smiled at his reflection. His silver horns gleamed in the mirror; the jagged bones that extended out of his body.

"Hmm?" He heard from behind him. He put his shirt back on and moved to the bed. He was greeted with a warm embrace by Talulah. Marzanna was still sound asleep. He went under the blanket and held his wife in his arms.

"Good morning," He whispered.

"Why are you awake so early?" Talulah whispered back. Kaiser Rye cuddled with her, bringing her back to his chest. He kissed her on her neck before he moved his gaze to Marzanna.

"Doesn't matter. You can go back to sleep if you want."

"Not when you're already up like this. Do not wake up our little angel."

"Who, Haley?"

"Very funny," Talulah giggled.

Marzanna slept quietly in her arms. Her head lay in her mother's bosom. Her black and silver hair was as smooth as silk. Her little fingers moved in her slumber. It's as if she was reaching for something in her dream. She twitched in her sleep before she sank into her mother's arms again. Talulah adjusted her body on the bed allowing Kaiser Rye to hold them both.

"Can you believe it, Rye? Marzanna's birthday is in four weeks," Talulah hummed.

"I know. Our little girl is growing up so fast," Kaiser Rye responded.

"I still remember when she was just a baby. She would just stare at me with her sleepy eyes. And then she would fall asleep again. Time went by slow back then. No tragedy that brought us to our knees. Only pace. No turmoil to affect our way of life. Despite our many hardships, we prevailed. And now we're in this city."

"Unfortunately, we have still had some threats to deal with."

Talulah turned her head and hissed. "Do not speak of such things here. I don't want our baby to have a nightmare in her sleep. Not a word from that topic shall be tolerated. Understand?"

"Yeah."

"But do not worry. Life will return to normal soon. Once we reach lands untouched by the empire, we can thrive and prosper. We can watch Marzanna grow into a beautiful woman. And one day, the city will be hers."

"That's very far into the future. If it is possible."

"Do not lose faith in me now, Rye. Our journey is just beginning."