82

Trilochan had reached the gate and was about to enter when he saw through the gap between the gate that Bondita was not on her chair. And then his eyes fell on the bed and there she was. He immediately turned at his place not wanting to witness his beta and bahu together in their privacy. " Bahu is totally a child..." He muttered. " She should have closed the door. What if I had entered and woken her up ? She would have been embarrassed. Not to mention give up the little sleep she could afford. What if Bihari had entered ?!" He turned and shut the door completely. " Buddhu bahu..." He did say that but with a smile. He felt he needed to leave them alone. He won't be able to sleep away from him, worry would keep him up but his son was in good hands.

He took a step as he turned only to now notice Bihari snoring three feet away from the door.. " Look at him." He said out loud for no one to hear. He nudged Bihari with his stick.

" Malik...!" Bihari woke up with a start without even seeing the face of his disturber.

" I kept you here to sleep !!" He whisper yelled. " Did I keep you here to snore your way through the night ?!"

" No !" Bihari stood up instantly, his hands joined. " No Malik. I just..." He looked down shamefully.

" Now listen. I am going to my room. If Bondita Bahu calls, respond immediately. And don't enter without knocking."

" But Malik I never go in..."

" Just listen for once !"

" Ji Malik !" And his head went down again.

Bondita was far from sleep. It felt different to be on the other side. Both the times she had slept in his arms, she was the one hurt. Had found solace in his arms, he had made her sleep and most probably had stayed up to see if she was ok even when she was not actually physically hurt. Like he was now. She didn't want to sleep, afraid he would need. And she didn't want to sleep because...she wanted to live this moment. To capture it.

The windows were wide open for fresh air and the moon light suited the all blue decor. Last time she was this late on this bed was when they were supposed to have their suhagraat. He had made her stay in this very room...with him, for the first time. He was right here all the night. She realised they had been on the same bed before too. Just that he didn't lay beside her. Or if he did, she didn't know. The next morning she had woken up to find an empty bed and the sound of shower running from the bathroom. She had not pondred back then of his sleeping place that night but today she did wonder.

A gust of wind entered the room and made it a notch chilly. Bondita propped on her right elbow and adjusted his blanket to cover him. She froze as his breath hit her cheek. Slowly looking down to his face she brought her hand to his right cheek. A sad, faint smile on her lips. " I... wanted you to rest Pati Babu. A break for you....I...I did mean this..." She placed her forehead on his very lightly. " I swear...I didn't mean this... You... can't do this to...me..."

Her little sobs filled his large room as the winds continued to tap the windows. Lifting her head she looked at him again. Was he really unconscious ? Or just asleep because of the medicines ? She didn't understand much of what Som Dada told her except that he might have to be admitted to the hospital. Her left hand rested on his chest clutching his night kurta like fear clutched her heart. And a crazy wish peaked its head up. She had seen her mother do it to her when she was very happy or sad. Sampoorna Didi too had given it to her when they were still close. It was not as crazy as it felt...right...?

Bondita wanted to...kiss him. Just a lovely kiss on his tired forehead. Would it be too much ? Would it be crossing boundaries he had always warned her about ? Though she had a basic knowledge now, she was not sure what she should do and what not.