~04

We walked through the 30th floor of Big Hit Appliances. Or rather--Mr. Jeon walked. I sprinted after him to catch up.

I watched multiple people enter some sort of lab, probably conducting an experiment for a product.

There were so many people who didn't have any abilities. All my life, I thought I was the only one, and that made me feel like an outcaste and led to people treating me like one. Maybe working here wasn't so bad.

I noticed Mr. Jeon making full, direct eye contact to all the people we come across. Once he's made eye contact with them, their eyes glaze over. I hurried up to him.

"Do you do this all the time?" I asked curiously. "Erasing people's minds when they see you?"

Mr. Jeon shook his head. "Like I said, I only erase people's minds when they see me. And besides, I don't fully erase their memories, just their recent memory of seeing my face." He looked at me pointedly. Apparently, I was the only one who has resisted against him.

"So, like, all the time?" I asked again.

He nodded. "Sometimes, I need to use this ability when I need to go to a certain department. By the time I'm gone, the employees are left scratching their heads, wondering if they really saw me."

"But, still, I don't get why you have to do this. It's not like you're a criminal..." I paused. I eyed him suspiciously.

He chuckled. "Nothing of the sort, Miss L/N. I assure you, I haven't done anything illegal." He paused, thinking. "Well...except for ordering too much packages in one day, but nothing else."

I pursed my lips. Then I reminded myself that it was not my business at all, and he could do whatever he wanted, as long as it didn't require firing me.

"What about your brothers? Do they do the same?"

"Brothers?" He looked at me blankly. "I don't...have that many brothers."

I stared back at him. "Yes, you do, you have six brothers!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about. I do have one brother, though."

"Only one?!" I asked him. "What about...um...Kim Hoseok? Park Taehyung?"

"Kim Hoseok and Park Taehyung...?" Then he laughed. "Oh, you mean my co-presidents! But those aren't their names, though..."

I blinked. "Co-presidents?"

Mr. Jeon continued laughing. "Yes, don't worry, a lot of people have made the same mistake as well. Well, it's true that the seven of us started this company together but we're not blood-related. Ah, and as for the mixed-up names, I think you mean Kim Taehyung and Jung Hoseok. But Park goes with Jimin."

"Ah, right." So, they weren't brothers. I mean, I might've assumed that they were different sons of a CEO, which was why they were the heirs, but I must've been jumping to conclusions.

"By the way, Miss L/N," Mr. Jeon said, folding his arms and fixing me a look. "You're not being very polite. All this time, you've been speaking informally to me. Did you forget that I am one of your bosses?"

I rubbed my hands nervously and bowed politely. "I apologize, Mr. Jeon." Dang it, how could I be so careless? I must've gotten careless just because we almost... Ah forget it.

"There, that's better. You're lucky it's me. If that was Jimin or Namjoon, they'd frown at you."

But...you're frowning too... I thought. Maybe this was a good sign that he wasn't going to fire me.

"Mr. Jeon, sir, um, I still have no idea which department I'm in," I explained.

"Yoongi hyung will be in charge of that."

I frowned. "Um, pardon?" I have a feeling I heard that name somewhere else...

"Yeon Kimin."

I gasped. Was it the liftman...!

"Yoongi. Min Yoongi, one of my co-presidents. He's older than me, but he'll be the one who'll assign you to your department."

"He doesn't...erase memories, does he?"

"Nope. It's only me who has that ability."

"That's cool," Mr. Jeon was just one of those other lucky people that got really rare gifts. And if that wasn't enough, he built and raised this company, along with six other men who probably had cool and better gifts too.

It wasn't fair.

Suddenly, Mr. Jeon stopped so abruptly, I bumped into him. He turned around, his brows raised at me. "What's going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"I just felt...really bad energy."

"Oh...you can sense that?"

"Well, I haven't been really truthful with you. My real ability is that I can manipulate a person's mind." He explained, his eyes searching for the "bad energy" he mentioned. "So that means, manipulating memories, dreams, thoughts, and...auras." As he said the last word, he looked at me, his eyes dead serious.

I gulped. If that was the case, then Mr. Jeon could be a dangerous man--if he wanted to.

"For some reason, though, I can't manipulate yours," he continued, studying me like I was an object. "Are you sure you're an Oddie?"

I closed my eyes and sighed. "With all due respect, Mr. Jeon, you have to stop calling me--and other people--'Oddie'. Just Odd will do. Second, I have been one ever since I was born. So...absolutely powerless."

"How about a soulmate?"

Soulmates were a touchy subject to me. I couldn't share it with anyone. Automatically, I hid my hands at the back. I shook my head.

"Do you have a soulmate?" I asked carefully, trying to avert the subject to him.

"Yes. I have six."

My eyes widened at the news. "Wait, so are they-"

"Yup, they're my co-presidents. We discovered we were each others' soulmates when I was 16, and since then, we've been helping and raising Oddi--Odds--find jobs. But so far...we've been missing one soulmate."

"I bet it's a boy. Lucky." I mumbled, loud enough for him to hear.

"No, actually, we're expecting it to be a girl." He held out his hand.

I never noticed it before, but seven of his fingers had rings, and six of them were glowing. The last one, next to his pinky finger, was absolutely dark.

I've seen these rings before--Nayeon and the girls had it... Even I had it. The rings symbolized the bond of their soulmates. The brighter the glow, the stronger their bond was. And in Mr. Jeon's case, it was practically burning bright. He pointed to the dark ring.

"See this marking? It's a wiggly line." And there was, in fact, a "wiggly line" carved into the metal.

"And...?" I asked him.

"A straight line symbolizes a boy." This time, he pointed to one of the glowing rings. " A wiggly line means a girl."

Ah, so that was why my friends' rings all had wiggly lines. Obviously, how could I not know this.

"But yours..." He trailed off.

I realized too late, and he was looking at my hands, which were gripping the strap of my bag. I cursed.

"You've got seven rings, all with straight lines."

I hid my hands behind my back. "Um, right. It's getting late. I should really be heading to Mr. Min's office-"

Mr. Jeon didn't move, but his eyes bore into mine as I saw realization in his eyes. "My ability didn't work on you, just like how one's soulmates' abilities refuses to work against them."

Crap, I cursed, as Mr. Jeon was now walking towards me. Only this time...I had a way to escape.

"Who are you, really?" He asked me.

I ran.