~06

I stared at the sandwich in front of me. Then I looked at Jin, who was munching away to his heart's delight.

I looked at my watch, it was 11:00. 

I wanted to eat the sandwich, since I hadn't eaten breakfast this morning, but my mind was just so confused and tired.

"Are you sure Mr. Jeon's not coming...?" I asked for what seemed like the millionth time.

For a brief moment, Jin sighed. "Miss L/N, you keep asking me that. I'm telling you, Jungkook always eats in his office, he doesn't like eating outside."

Ah, so Jungkook was his name... I'm guessing if I called him by his first name, he wouldn't approve. At least, his soulmate was more lenient with names and formality.

But eating together with him like this...I'm amazed at myself, actually...

"Although..." Jin started, sitting straighter. "He has contacted me earlier, asking if you were with me."

I leaned forward. "So, what did you tell him?"

"Well...I think that's between me and him, Miss L/N," Jin said mysteriously. "I don't think he's gonna like it if I shared it to you."

I sighed inwardly. Of course he wouldn't help me. For all we know, Mr. Jeon might be on his way to this particular Subway fast food.

Suddenly, Jin burst into laughter, attracting the other customers. "Wow, Miss L/N, your face just now... Don't worry, I didn't say you were here with me. In the first place, why would you be together with me out at lunchtime?" He winked.

My heart fluttered at his actions, and I cleared my throat, looking out the window. This man... If I'm not careful, I might get more involved with him.

"Why aren't you afraid someone will see you?" I asked him.

"Hm...let's see..." Jin paused, deep in thought. "I guess you could say that I'm not afraid of the government or public recognizing me." His eyes glittered dangerously. "Plus, I could be very intimidating if I wanted to. And it just gets so boring when I'm always in my office. I think I prefer watching the sunset...or watching my employees."

I took a bite out of my sandwich. It was just a shame and a waste if I didn't eat it. After all, Jin paid for it, so the least I could do is finish it without any complaints. "What about your soulmates?"

He shook his head. "No, they don't like being out in the open so much."

"Oh..."

Jin stood up straighter. "But let's talk about you. You're an Odd, right?"

I nodded.

"And you've got seven soulmates. How lucky. Despite having no ability, at least you have seven men waiting for you."

"But...there's a chance I won't get to meet them," I reminded him. I really didn't want to talk about this, especially not in front of someone like Jin.

"True, true. But who knows? Your soulmates might just be around the corner. Like...one of your bosses, for instance."

My instincts were giving out red lights as the conversation turned. I eyed Jin carefully. Mr. Jeon definitely told him about me.

I quickly finished the last of my sandwich and stood up, grabbing my handbag. "Thank you so much, Mr. Kim. But it's almost time for me to go back to work." I bowed.

"Already?" Jin asked, surprised. But I was already walking towards the door.

I stood out in the open, wondering if I should get a taxi to Big Hit.

"Miss L/N!" Jin called out. He had followed me. "You're already in a hurry, I see. I'll make this quick."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kim, but I need to go--"

"Do you know how soulmates form a bond?"

"I--what?"

"It's pretty simple, actually," he continued, walking forward, squinting in the sun.

If I wasn't in a hurry, I could keep staring at his handsome face for hours...

No, wait, focus.

"A kiss." He said.

I flushed. "Well, yes, I know how soulmates form a bond, thank you very much. But...why are you telling this to me...?

"No matter how hard I look at it, you're really our missing soulmate."

I folded my arms. "What's your proof?"

"My special ability is scanning one's health. Kind of like a doctor. This ability allows me to see one's genes and DNA. I hope you'll forgive me, but I scanned your physical background just a while ago, and most of your qualities match each of us."

"Anyone can share the same qualities."

"But only you and your soulmates can have 100% compatibility. In your case, it's 99.9%"

"That's not 100%."

"I agree." Jin looked at me, and this time, I knew he was being serious. "To make it 100%, you must make the full bond."

"Full...bond..." I said carefully. "The kiss?"

He nodded.

"Well...that's not enough reason for me to just accept you guys."

"You're right. We can do this on your own pace. But if you want a reason..." He leaned forward. "You'll have to test it on me first."

"S-So, if we kiss..." I started, trying to avert his eyes. "A bond will form, right?" I caught myself. "Well, I'm not saying that a bond will form, but...it'll form if you're really my soulmate, right?"

"Right."

I closed my eyes briefly and sighed. This is madness, madness!

But...it would be nice to finally have soulmates for once. And they're supposed to share some of your burdens, right? So...I think it's better to take this chance than to have nothing at all, regardless of the result.

I looked at Jin straight in the eye. "Alright, fine."

"We don't have to do this right now, if you want to."

"No, I need to know for myself." I replied. I took a deep breath and stepped forward. "I'm ready now."

Slowly, I felt Jin's hands cup both of my cheeks. I expected them to be cold, but it was warmer than I thought. I closed my eyes, bracing for the moment.

His hot breath fanned my face. And his lips captured mine.