0:10

For a minute or two, the two looked at each other in silence

For a minute or two, the two looked at each other in silence. Not one person saying a single word. It was tense, something that caught her off guard for whatever reason. At this time she just wanted to see which direction he would be taking this conversation, before she spoke up for herself. 

Usually, she'd stay on defensive, but something about today just made her sit back - she was honestly not in the mood, and felt like she was wasting her time sitting here, but hey, he was the boss. He had clearly called her in for a reason. She cleared her throat, looking sideways, before she heard him sigh. 

"Listen Shane, it's high time we had this conversation and put the pettiness to the side," he started off, leaning back in his plush office chair. His one leg crossed over the other, as he looked at her face, "at the end of the day, this is a business - and in a business setting things are supposed to remain professional, or rather semi formal in this space,"

She nodded her head, her guard still up as she followed along with his train of thought. 

"This problem should have been resolved with HR present, but I thought I'd be courteous and avoid that whole scenario, and see if we can resolve this problem adult, to adult. Employer, to employee," he said, using this hands as he explained himself. His tone was neutral, which naturally led to Shane, dropping her defense for a bit. 

"Right," she agreed, leaning back into her seat as well. Normally, she would be pointing fingers, and deflecting, but she wanted to see if he would apologize or not. To see if he would finally give her the respect she deserved, and his tone kind of sounded like was on that road. 

"My biggest problem is when I feel disrespected," he paused, weighing out her reaction. He could see the frown that now rested on her face, but he decided to continue, "and on the day of our meet, you disrespected my place as the owner of this business," 

"Now wait a minute," Shane interjected, sitting back up as she could feel her defenses going up, this certainly was not going in the way she thought it would, "how did I disrespect you? Because if I remember correctly, you called me 'princess' in such a belittling manner, then I lifted up my hand to shake yours, and you didn't even give me the respect, and if it's not a situation of respect, you could not be civil with me. So explain to me, how you would still want respect from me, when you dished out disrespect first,"

She paused folding her arms, awaiting his response. 

"Listen, I understand I could have worded myself way better - for that I apologize, however I'm not going to apologize for the message behind it."

"Sure, we live in a world where women are going to want to prove to men they can do what men do, but go do that where you are welcomed to," he said, "why are you pushing to come into a space where I have set up certain boundaries, certain values, and try to change that?"

"It's freaking the twenty-first century though, workplaces should not be discriminative like that. It's definitely screaming lawsuit," she pointed out, rolling her neck.