𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 64: 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐿 𝑊𝑜𝑟𝑑

The school bell rang overhead.

"Remember, your essays are due tonight by 11:59, with a minimum of 1000 words." The teacher announced. Some students groaned as they packed up their things.

I groaned too, putting my notebook in my bag. "I haven't even started." Eli admitted from beside me. "Me either... I'm probably gonna be up all night writing it." I said.

We both stood and left the classroom, making our way to the cafeteria for lunch. People still stared as we walked down the hallway, as if they hadn't seen us before.

Some stare at Eli because they know exactly who he is, and who he used to be. Others stare because they have no idea who he is.

The other day, a girl in one of my classes came up to me and asked who Eli was and why I wasn't with the guy with the Mohawk anymore.

I couldn't care less about what people think of us. Eli, on the other hand, still cares deeply. He's stopped bringing it up, but I see the way he avoids eye contact with everyone as we walk down the halls.

After we go through the lunch line, we started to make our way to our usual table. We walked and laughed together, before someone all the sudden bumped into Eli's tray of food.

The food spilled all over his shirt. He dropped his tray, food dripping from his clothes. I looked to the person who caused the accident. The sight made anger pump through my veins.

"Yo, sorry dude. Guess I didn't see you there without your hair..." Kyler rubbed Eli's shaved head aggressively. I pushed Kyler away from Eli. Kyler stumbled back a few steps.

"Hey, hot-stuff! Don't forget about the no fighting rules now..." Kyler smirked evilly. "You're such a bitch, Kyler!" I yelled at him.

"What's the matter, Hawk? Too pussy to fight your own battles?" Kyler taunted Eli. I set my tray down, clenched my fists and started to storm towards Kyler, before a teacher appeared between us.

The teacher held up her hands. "Stop it, you two. Go eat your lunch." She said sternly. I stared angrily at Kyler, while he just smirked in response. He turned and walked away, high-fiving his Cobra Kai friends on the way.

I went back to Eli. "Are you alright?" I asked. "I'm fine." He responded. I grabbed my tray again, and we made our way to our table once more.

I didn't know it, Eli's heart fluttered when I stepped in to defend him.

I grabbed extra napkins along the way, before we both sat at our table. "We can share." I smiled at him, putting my tray in between us. I handed him the napkins, which he took thankfully.

I started eating as he wiped the school's mashed potatoes off his shirt. "Thanks for sticking up for me." Eli said quietly. "Anytime." I winked at him. He chuckled lightly, before looked down at his stained shirt again.

It was silent for a moment, before Eli spoke up, looking at me. "Y/n, are you..." His sentence trailed off. I tilted my head slightly as I waited for him to continue. It looked as though he gulped before continuing his question.

"Are we, uhm... together again?" He asked.

I raised an eyebrow with a smile. "Is that what you want?" I asked. "More than anything..." Eli nodded.

I want that too...

"Then it's settled." I smile at him kindly, gratefully. His head shot up towards me, his eyes locked with mine. "It's official?" He asked, hopefully. "It's official." I echoed.

"I mean, are you sure? I'm sure there's better people out there... People who haven't hurt you the way I have. People that won't hurt you." He told me.