Chapter 26 || The Accords

Buckle in folks

Jayce POV

"11 Wakandans were among those k*lled during a confrontation... between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries... in Lagos, Nigeria last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission... in Lagos, when the attack occurred."

I stare at the news Steve has on, watching as King T'Chaka of Wakanda appears on screen at a press conference.

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil... not only because of the actions of criminals... but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent... is no victory at all."

"The Wakandan king went on to..." Steve sighs and clicks off the television, glancing up at me.

"They failed to mention you saving over 20 people from that building."

I sigh and chuckle, "The news never liked me much. They always tend to show the negative side of things. They always look for someone to blame when things go wrong instead of seeing the bright side, that that situation could've went a lot worse, as in Rumlow blowing up the whole city, killing civilians all over. We did everything we could...she made a mistake."

"I know she did, but she was trying to save my life. I could've clocked that bomb vest long before she had to even deal with it. Rumlow said 'Bucky' and all of a sudden I was a 16 year old kid again in Brooklyn...and people died."

I bite my lip and shake my head, "It isn't your fault either, Steve. Our line of work? It comes with risks. I've been doing this a long time. Ever since I was in high school. I'm 28 years old now, I've been doing this for nearly 12 years."

He chuckles, "That's a long time."

"Very. I've dealt with the press for a while. Daily Bugle, New York Times, Daily Mail, you name it. They see me taking down an enemy but all they seem to write about are the buildings that got damaged in the process, the danger I somehow put civilians in even when I was saving their lives. They fear us because we have these...gifts. It's a scary world, and they want to shut us down and turn the world against us because we have power and they fear that."

He hangs onto my every word and absorbs it, seemingly agreeing with all of it. Before he can say anything else, I hear the news coming from down the hall. Frowning, I turn to where it's coming from and realize it's Wanda's room.

Sighing, "I'll be right back," I say before walking towards her room and pushing the door open quietly, making my way in.

I glance at the screen she is staring at intently and see the newscaster speaking over clips of the Lagos wreckage, "They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these. What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have... to operate in Nigeri–" I use the remote to turn the television off and lean against the wall, crossing my arms over my chest with a heavy heart for my best friend.

She takes her head off her hand and looks down, knowing it's me already, "It's my fault."

"