65: I'm going to be a father and you a Daddy

Meng Yao was visiting the market in a rather strange mood.

"Who eats melons in winter?" Jia Yi’s request baffled him but he was always willing to indulge the man he loved.

Meng Yao has been frequently confused by Jia Yi lately. He felt like his love was not himself these days but wasn’t sure if it was just that Jia Yi wasn't much of a winter person. This was their first winter together, after all. As he searched the streets for Jia Yi’s requested items, he encountered Ming Shou Shan. The man was alone, which was strange. Normally a city lord would be escorted by servants and guards. The two looked awkwardly at each other but Meng Yao soon smiled and put Shou Shan at ease.

"Liang Meng Yao," he greeted with affable dignity.

"City Lord Ming," Meng Yao replied cheerfully.

Shou Shan saw the watermelon and fruits in the in his bag and looked at Meng Yao with curiosity written on his face.

"Um – fruits," Meng Yao explained with a slightly embarrassed look on his face. “Jiajia has been craving things lately," he added, looking both perplexed and indulgent at the same time.

"Really?” The word “craving” captured Shou Shan’s attention and he smiled slightly as he asked, “Any other strange behaviors?"

"He keeps trying weird food combinations, has frequent mood swings, and seems to always be hungry and sleepy," Meng Yao said, his confusion clear.

Shou Shan’s vague suspicion was confirmed and he smiled at Meng Yao.

"Congratulations," he said, deepening Meng Yao’s confusion.

"Huh?"

"Let's go get a doctor for your wife," Shou Shan suggested.

"Doctor?” Meng Yao felt fear surging up but when he looked at Shou Shan’s happy expression, he realized that the man wasn’t suggesting Jia Yi was sick. Suddenly it dawned on him what Shou Shan was suggesting. “Wait, no way! You think he’s – "

A big grin spread on Meng Yao’s face and his eyes sparkled with excitement.

Meng Yao went to buy more fruits as Shou Shan went to invite a doctor for him. The two men quickly returned with a doctor in tow.

"Jiajia," Meng Yao called softly, waking the sleeping man.

Jia Yi woke and sat up, blinking his eyes in a daze. Meng Yao’s excited expression startled him. Last night he had irritated Meng Yao by refusing to have sex with him. He told Meng Yao he wasn’t in the mood and Meng Yao had sulked until they both fell asleep.
Jia Yi had worried that he had hurt Meng Yao’s feelings, especially since they had started to get intimate when he realized that he just wasn’t interested. But now his husband was looking at him with sparkling eyes.

"Yaoyao?" Jia Yi asked slowly.

"I've brought fruits! All kinds – even extra melons!” Meng Yao said, speaking so fast Jia Yi’s sleep dazed mind had a hard time understanding him. “How do you feel? Is there any discomfort anywhere?"

Jia Yi was confused by his cheerful attitude. This morning Meng Yao had left with obvious frustration but now he was bouncing like an excited puppy.

"Jiajia, sit down. I'll go get you some warm blankets. You must be cold.” As Meng Yao babbled two men stepped inside the door, catching Meng Yao’s attention and calming him some.
“Um doctor, City Lord Ming, do come in," Meng Yao urged.

Jia Yi was startled by the sudden arrival of two guests but he was finally starting to wake up. He tried to stand.
“I'll go pre-"

"No, no, please sit, Jia Yi.” Meng Yao cut him off and pushed him back onto the seat. “I'll do – um, doctor do come, please…"

Jia Yi was so confused he began to wonder if he was asleep and dreaming but he sat as Meng Yao request. The doctor came up to Jia Yi and nodded politely. He bowed slightly while cupping his hand.

"Your wrist," he requested as soon as the formalities were over.

Jia Yi took a deep breath and offered his wrist to the doctor. The doctor placed three fingers gently on his pulse point and tilted his head as he assessed Jia Yi’s body. After a few minutes he nodded, his expression stern but still reassuring. At that moment, Meng Yao returned with a tray holding tea and cups.

The doctor glanced at Meng Yao and nodded, confirming his suspicions. Jia Yi, who was in the dark, began to worry that something was terribly wrong with him but Meng Yao grinned broadly, dropping the tray carelessly onto the table and rushing to Jia Yi’s side.

"Jiajia, my love!"

He hugged Jia Yi gently around the waist, as if the she-man would break if he applied any pressure. Shou Shan suddenly felt really guilty. Now he could understand why Fa Enlai had gotten so angry with him when he accused Meng Yao of being unfaithful and fickle. This couple was obviously deeply in love with each other.
"Yaoyao, what's going on?" Jia Yi demanded.

"Jiajia, I'm going to be a father and you’re going to be a daddy!" Meng Yao’s grin grew wider as he answered Jia Yi.

Jia Yi sighed with relief and a happy smile began to grow on his face as he realized that he was not only fine but he was also carrying his husband’s much-wanted child.

"Your wife is two months pregnant," the doctor explained. He started to go over some basic precautions but Meng Yao heard nothing as he kissed his wife passionately.

"I know this is your house, Mr. Liang, but we are still here," Shou Shan protested, his face pink with embarrassment.

Jia Yi tried to pull away self-consciously but Meng Yao was shameless as ever.

"It's my wife. Why should I hide? I am not doing anything wrong. If you’re jealous, get your own wife.” Meng Yao grinned slyly. “I’d like to see you hold your desires when the man you love is pregnant with your child."

The doctor sat patiently at the table, watching the two talking. He was used to this sort of excited response to news of pregnancy and was waiting for the opportunity to finish his duty by explaining precautions and prescribing some tonics for the pregnant man. As he waited, he enjoyed the tea Meng Yao had brought. It had a strange orange taste but it was quite good.

Shou Shan felt awkward. He had been married before but his marriage wasn't like this. The relationship between his deceased wife and himself had been good but it wasn't passionate. The marriage had been an arranged marriage, not a union of love like Meng Yao and Jia Yi.

Edited by Relendria