Part 12

Getting Chandramukhi out of town proved to be more difficult than they originally thought. Kali Babu was not giving up. Knowing Devdas would eventually see through his lies and continue his search for Chandramukhi, he had him traced and closely watched. Chuni Babu had previously ordered the servants they should not ever mention there is a woman in the house, and when one of the admitted his tongues waged a bit, he quickly hired a tawaif and made sure she was seen coming and going for several days. But that Devdas lived there could not be concealed and the watchers haunted his every step. They were disappointed when he didn't go buy any jewels or clothing, that would indicate he had found what Kali Babu was looking for. Instead, during the rare walks he took, he would usually go to a bank or post-office. After noticing the same familiar faces on the street, randomly doing nothing, he was certain he was being followed. Little by little he was more assured of this.

Finally it was decided that Chandramukhi would leave the town first and Devdas was to follow her about a month after. She was to leave at night, to avoid as many curious looks as possible, and Chuni Babu, who actually seemed to be enjoying all that, worked up a plan to distract the attention. He would leave the house first that evening and go to the brother as was, after all, his habit. Next it was Deva's turn to abandon the house and follow Chuni Babu into what used to be Chandrmaukhi's kotha, pretending to be drunk and causing a scene over his missing lover, until compassionate friend would escort him back home. In case the watchers decided to supervise the house even after Devdas left it, soon after him a coach with Gauri, disguised in the most splendid attire, would leave and head out of the city, to one of Chuni Babu's country houses. Gauri was to make sure she was seen stepping hurriedly out of the house, but without showing her face. All the lights in the house were to be put out to create an illusion nobody else important is left. Only an hour later Chandramukhi herself finally set out on her journey, accompanied by three servants and Dharamdas, and they would take a long route to a different country house of Chuni Babu's. Devdas couldn't help but admire Chuni Babu's quick mind that worked just wonders when he wanted, and he only prayed all would go well.

A goodbye kiss he had stolen from her was still burning on his lips when he set out. Chandramukhi didn't like this part of a plan where he was supposed to hold a bottle of alcohol all the time - and smell like it after sprinkling it over his face and clothes - but Chuni Babu insisted. He remembered well enough of how the world used to be swaying all around him back in the days he spent his time drinking, and started walking in a very unsure manner. The acting turned out to be easier than he thought. Soon enough he mastered the uneven steps, looking intensely to the ground from half-closed eye-lids. Occasionally he would loose balance, few times he decided to fall. His act was apparently working. People on the street were avoiding him, he even heard several abuses on his own address. And he noticed two men following him from a distance, whom he had definitely seen before.

He slowly climbed the steps leading to the kotha, intentionally tripping and mumbling incoherent swears. It all felt so disturbingly familiar he felt ashamed deep inside. Was this how he lived? Really? He managed several last steps and crumbled through the veil of small mirrors into a place that had repulsed him the very first time, but he grew to know it all too well. The place was empty, the dance of the night was already over, and the customers left - some went to sit with other courtesans, some returned to their respected houses. Once upstairs, he opened the door of what used to be Chandramukhi's bedroom.

Indeed, as he had expected, they already gave the chambers to another tawaif. Pretending to sway in his walk with difficulties he burst in and took a look around, ignoring a cry of discontent from the courtesan and a man accompanying her. Even that short look was enough for him to see the place had changed. Not very much to an eyes of an outsider, but it felt different. And he suddenly felt utterly disgusted by the whole matter. This was not right. This place, he had loathed so much, now seemed a temple to him, where every bit has been graced by the presence of his love, by her caring and dreams, and now it was being desacrated by cheap thrills. And then he almost forgot his act completely as he recognized the man who got up to see who had dared to interrupt him.

"You!" Kali Babu's eyes gleamed in the dim light of the candles.

The sudden urge to break the bottle in his hand and march against him threatened to ruin everything. If I kill him right now, there will be no need for hiding, Devdas thought viciously, but regained the control of himself at the last moment, his grip on the bottle tightening. He staggered pass him and made his unsure way to the woman. Looking at her he noticed with satisfaction she was not as beautiful as his Chandramukhi, and even such a petty thing meant his victory over Kali Babu at that moment.

"Get out!" he shouted at her in a drunken manner, waving his arms all around. "And call me Chand.. ra....mukhi... I'll wait here." With those words he crumbled onto the bed. This was the place he had spent so many night at, this was where she was fighting for her life, this was where he first made love to her.... and now.... No. It was all too disgusting. He was almost thankful when he felt Kali Babu grabbing his shoulders roughly and throwing him to the ground.

"You get out of here before I remember our last meeting properly!"

Devdas blinked several times and looked at him with an empty expression.

"I remember you," he said after a while of glaring. "You said you have Chandra...mu...Chand... you said you have her. Please, brother, just...call her... I don't think she'd... even like you.. but she likes me... " He intentionally did not make much sense and at the same time tried to hurt his pride. " But thank you... bhai... those dancing bells... I like them... that you had made for her... they are nice when she is dancing.... cham...cham...cham...." His voice broke into a laughter, that did not stop even as Kali Babu hit him in the face and dragged him out of the door.

"Oh my! What is happening here!" Chuni Babu appeared out of nowhere with such a genuine concern on his face Devdas was glad he acted drunk and so it was not completely out of place to laugh. Chuni Babu stepped in between the two men. "Kali Babu, my friend, whatever has happened let it pass!" he was practically shouting and the ever constant merriment was present in his voice. "Why are you beating this poor soul? And you, Dev Babu," he turned to Devdas, ruffled and sitting on the floor, "what are you doing here? I have told you: stay home! Eat! Drink! Go to sleep! Why have you come here?" He helped him to his feet and started dragging him down the stairs and out, but never stopping to shout merrily at Kali Babu. "Poor soul, poor soul indeed! Our dancing miracle has stolen his heart. You have to forgive him, Kali Babu, he is not as experienced in love as we two are. Love and loss, life and loathing, laugh and lament! We know it all so well - but him? Oh, poor soul, poor soul...!"

The house was empty when they returned, both laughing, but with slight nagging of fear in their hearts. It would take some time before they would get any news about how the rest of the plan worked. It was also the first night after a long time Devdas had to sleep alone. The soft bed seemed uncomfortable, too large for his liking, and definitely uninviting without Chandramukhi's long tresses spread over the pillows. He buried his face into the sheets, breathing into whatever scent of hers was left in them. Her safety was foremost right now. She had to be safe. Just had to. Before he finally fell asleep, he sent a short prayer up to the sky, hoping, that God would grant him this one wish.