Ten

Myth's pov

Myth smiled happily as she designed the pastries, excited that Jamie was having a good time. The pinwheel were finally done and moved to the side to rest before a brush of egg wash and bake. She moved on to a circular shape with a spiral pattern of fruit cutouts. These were going to be elderberry, which was surprisingly popular in the small town.

"Awee that's very sweet. I would love that! I can definitely share what I know with you. Lovely idea hun." Myth looked up for a moment to assess how they were doing. A decent chunk of time had passed by, but she didn't really mind. She was enjoying working the kitchen more than usual, and wanted to savior the time.

Myth quicken her pace as she was more confident with the room temperature dough. After a minute or so, she had finished creating and decorating the tray in front of her. The next on the list was the donut style, cream cheese center that took half the time. She tossed 3 soften bricks of cream cheese into a large mixing bowl, added one generous scoop of sugar, and a splash of vanilla. Then she picked up a danish whisk from the table and went to work, breaking apart the clump and beat till smooth and creamy.

Jamie's pov

Washing their hands to make sure every remnant of chocolate was gone they turned to Myth watching for a moment before speaking, they always seemed to be memorized when they watched her. Their ears fluttered what was becoming a common pattern, though they hadn't quite figured out the meaning of said pattern. They mused that they should probably know why their own body did what it did, but the way their ears moved was mostly subconscious.

"Do you need any help? It'll take about a half turn before the filling and rum balls can be worked." They came over peering around her at the cream cheese mixture. "If you don't need any help I'm sure I can busy myself or if you're almost done, maybe we can mix something up together?"

Moving from behind her they come to lean over the counter, sinking down to rest their head on their arms, not minding even a bit that they were resting in a mess of flour. Looking up at Myth through their eye lashes they waited for her reply.

Myth's pov

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Jamie looking over in her direction. She couldn't help but smile. Their ears are what caught her attention first, dancing to an unknown beat.

Once the mixture became a light, silky smooth cream, a light bulb flicked on in her head. She had completely the egg yolk that gives the filling a custard like taste. Myth peered around the kitchen from where she stood, not noticing that Jamie had moved as she was lost in thought. She had set aside eggs to warm up to room temperature, but had obviously misplaced the bowl. Jamie's sweet voice cut clear through Myth's twirling thoughts, and that showed on her face. Her eyes went wide and blinked a few times, registering what they had said.

"Oh yes! I had eggs somewhere around here... Can you help me find them real quick? I had 'em in a wooden bowl to warm up, but I can't remember where they went." Myth's eyes studied Jamie's facial features, drifting across their soft features. She hadn't just sat in the moment. They were an attractive individual, a lovely sight to see. Even more to converse with. She could have stayed there forever..

"Um.. I uh.." Myth's pink toned skin deepened when she caught herself. "Would you like to help shape this last batch? They're a simple pastry, and I can guild you through the steps."

Jamie's pov

Nodding they stood up straight flecks of flour falling to the floor. "Sure, you said a wooden bowl right?" Taking a moment to look around they quickly found a light wood bowl sitting just behind a large container of sugar. Confirming with a quick look that there were indeed eggs inside they pass the bowl to Myth. "Here and sure, I'd love to help!" Their ears beat, expressing just how happy they were. They took slight notice of her being a little out of it, but figured she had just been focused on her work.

They looked around the work space a bit and frowned slightly, noticing just how messy it was. Grabbing a damp towel they quickly wipe most of the flour into their palm, dumping it into the trash before moving on to the clutter. In a few minutes they tossed the leftover cream cheese boxes and moved aside things like the sugar and flour containers. They'd made more room, but ensured that everything was still in reach. "That's a bit better, it was a little cramped to be working right next to each other."

They wondered what time the cafe opened, they had been working for a good while, at least a turn or a turn and a half to be fair they had gotten here pretty early. "Hey, what turn is it?" They glanced over at her as they spoke, the light pink almost missed, but even as they noticed it they wrote it off as her being flushed from the heat.