Chapter 24

Thank you to @ducklingthefourth00 for the vote and comment. I'm sure if this book can talk, it'll tell you it loves you too XP

Moving on, let's get started with this, shall we?

-----------------//----------------

I took the ceramic cup and picked it up, bringing it close to my lips, blowing it as steam rose above the dark liquid. I sipped on it and the bitter taste filled my senses, flooding my taste buds and I savored it, letting the liquid slide down my throat, leaving a hot trail behind.

I never liked coffee but today was an exception. This headache is going to kill me.

I waited the whole night to tell the crew, calling them to pick me up in my house on their way to school and now, I am deaf. The ringing in my ears as I watched a certain petite girl pace back and forth was dizzying.

My hand shot out to halt her next step as I nursed my throbbing head.

"Monic, please stop screeching your head off," I begged my baby sister. She might be small but dang her vocal chords are strong.

Jake was way past begging and was sitting there leisurely, sipping his tea like his beloved girlfriend is not about to bite my head off for telling her off.

"What do you expect me to do, Case? Sit calmly while you reveal that Dom, our childhood best friend Dom killed our brother?! Well, shits for you, you can throw that thought out the window because I can't I just can't." She bit out.

Her breathing was labored as her nose flared and her chest heaving up and down. There was a feral look in her eyes that I only see when someone took her candy when she was 10.

It was way too early for this. It's Monday now and I have no plans to skip school as I turned to face the counter, giving her my back to glare at instead and got back to buttering my toast.

"You think I'm not freaked out by this? The fact that he killed Bryant is sickening." I lashed out and there was a slight tremor in my voice that was hard to miss.

"Not to mention he probably sent that stupid bald cowardly jerkface to kidnap me. What a joke. I'm actually kind of offended. He thinks he can kidnap me that easily, huh." I muttered in annoyance.

It was supposed to be those crazy talk to yourself kind of moment but of course Monic chose that particular time to have super hearings.

"HE WHAT?!" She screamed at me in terror. Oops.

I shrugged at her, "I forgot to tell you. I was almost beaten up to pulp by some asshole on steroids and his goons after a party Penelope invited me to." I explained in a mock apologetic tone.

"Oh, that girl." Monic addressed darkly and for a silent, brief moment, I was terrified for Penelope's safety. This time from my cousin.

I told Monic about Penelope over the phone the day she started talking to me after asking for advices on my outfit.

She was always the fashionable one.

Anyways, the second I described the bubbly personality that Penny has, Monic is somehow determined that Penny is a fake, two timing, good for nothing bitch which, of course, earned my utmost objection.

Penelope was, by far, the sweetest girl I've ever had the honor to meet and I didn't understand how Monic can suspect that she was using me.

I decided to ignore Monic's accusations against her and just turn a deaf ear towards her yells.

I glared at the toast as Monic chided me off on how I was too trusting, my appetite has taken a vacation and it doesn't seem to be coming back anytime soon.

I heard soft pads of footstep approach me before a hand laid on my shoulder. I flinched, causing the hand to fall from my shoulder blade and to my utter horror; I felt the tiny tinge of disappointment when I found out whose hand it belonged to.

I turned around to face the green eyed guy whose face was inches away from mine.

I shuffled my feet, trying to create as much space as I can between us as I held onto the edge of the counter.

"W-we should get to school. We're late." I stuttered as I averted my eyes elsewhere.

Haven't this dude ever heard of personal space? Well, yeah. He's invading mine.

He nodded stiffly before moving a few steps backwards, stares at me a while and walks out of the kitchen. I let go of the breath I didn't even know I held and my grip on the table lessened before my body slumped forward.

Get a bloody grip of yourself, you moron.

It was only then did I realize that the Jake and Monic was nowhere to be seen. Since Zac apparently left town two days ago to go back to wherever the hell he came from, there was only four of us and Adam obviously followed suit after them, leaving me to my thoughts in my kitchen.

I shook my head before shoving the toast inside my mouth and chewed it around, ignoring the taste that awakened my gag reflex and downed it with the rest of my coffee.

I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. 'Mom would've killed me if she saw what I did with that toast,' was all I thought about before rushing out the kitchen, grabbing my backpack on my way out and slung it onto my shoulder and catching up to Adam.

After locking the house, I caught up to Adam and got on his bike gracefully while strapping on my helmet and kicking the side footrest and hitching my feet on them.

Adam waited for me to get comfy but he didn't try to make me wrap my hands around his waist this time, he waited for me to hold onto his shoulders like every other time before the bike lurched into the streets.

We were silent on the way to school. It's not like you can hear anything anyways, the engine of the bike would probably drown any noise that came out of either of our mouths so why bother.

As the school's building came into view, a dreaded thought filled my mind; how am I going to explain anything to Penny?

"Oh hi Penny, remember that man with the bodyguards that tried to kidnap us and possibly rape you in the process? Yeah? They were coming after me because someone wants me dead."

It even sounded more stupid in my head.

I just hope I don't make a fool out of myself.

The dread that felt like an anchor tied to my heart was slowly but surely pulling my heart along with it as it slides down into my stomach as the double doors that leads into the school comes nearer and nearer by every step.

Something was going to happen and I was almost positive that I wouldn't like it.

•~•~•

Damn, I'm so sorry for the wait and really late update. It's 11:30 pm here and I'm just glad I was able to finish it before the day ends.

I was on my way to a town 3 hours away from home to visit this school like every other time and my brain wasn't cooperating so it took a really long time to come up with this chapter. Sorry if it's suckish. I promise I'll make up to you with the next one.

What am I doing in a school on a weekend? It's sort of my workplace. I help out here. It's really amazing, honestly.

It's a high school for orphans and the unfortunate kids who can't pay for education, a project that my dad and his friends are funding. They're practically my huge family.

Why am I telling you this? I might have a character based on one of the kids here.

Anyways, as much as I love you guys, I gotta sleep and all that shiz.

Love y'all and stay awesome 💕-J