the before story

A week prior to the mission;

"You... want your dad's contact?" Gojo tilted his head, glasses slightly crook off his nose from the movement. I nodded once, confirming my wishes.

"I thought you knew how to communicate with him?" I huffed, yes that's what I thought as well. Not to mention he said something along the line "just call him" but apparently.. my effort aren't exactly succesful.

I think I have to be in a comatose situation to reach out mentally with him but I'm not going to beat myself up half to death.

"I mean I do have his number, but why?" I blinked blankly at him, bold of me to assume that even though he's a teacher he'd have a common sense.

"To train."

I'm not stupid. The mission is just obviously dangerous, probably even more dangerous than the ones before and I'm not risking fighting high ranked curses, including Sukuna if needed, without a proper preparation.

Not to mention the information my dad gave me a while ago sounds interesting, besides he told me that I could contact him if I want to right?

At least that's what I remembered, I might forget a few details but that's the big picture right?

Yeah..

Well Gojo gave me quite a hard time just for me to get my own dad's number, he kept asking questions and always say things along the lines of "Don't expect too much, your dad barely answer mine." But he gave me the number in the end.

Truthfully the last one kind of scares me a little, what if he doesn't pick up? Now that I mention it, he said something about I had to activate the powers first, I haven't activate anything what even am I supposed to do then?

I stared at the number, contemplating whether I should press the call button or not, and truth be told, I stood still for at least five minutes.

Taking a deep breath, I tapped the call button and pressed the phone as close as possible towards my ears.

I felt nauseous, so many things are going around in my mind right now. What if he doesn't answer? What if I can't help Yuuji? What if I break my promise to him again? What if I di-

"Hello tsugumi."

Oh.

He answered.

"Hi.. dad."

"I knew you'd call, Gojo has been texting me about this new mission of yours. I assume you want me to try and train you?"

Oh, he reads them after all. Gojo was complaining about this like a baby a few moments ago, whining about he's not even sure that my dad reads his texts.

Well he does.

"Um.. yeah?"

He hummed across the line, I unconsciously bit my bottom lip, why is it quiet? Why is he giving very unecessary uncomfortable silent tension?

"Okay."

... wait that's it?

Just ok?

"Tsugumi, I know you're confused. But really you've awaken your powers the day you woke up from your coma. Remember what I ordered you to do? You did it, very quickly even. All there is to do is train."

Oh. Wait really? Oh, I was worried over nothing.

"But as I said, training might be painful. You were manipulating your own brain that time, it didn't pain you because you were already accustomed to your own emotions. Now you need to manipulate others, it will hurt. A lot. Are you ready for it?"