fourteen

Emilia got through the next few weeks, slowly working with Dr. Banner and Bucky about learning how to compartmentalize everything she now knew versus not knowing what her subconscious was keeping from her. Things were a little awkward between her and Steve, but he still made sure she was comfortable and never overstepped his boundaries. She and Natasha had begun to train a lot more together, there being things that Emilia learned that she never did and vice versa now that her mind was completely unlocked from Dreykov's control. Things did not seem so overbearing now, all her thoughts being out in the open for her to grasp from. She had been on a few more missions, nothing life threatening but more for her to learn pre- and post-mission routines as well as learn the layout of the quinjets and how to operate them. She found herself more relaxed, not worried about completely shutting down and her brainwashing to take over. She was still being cautious, however, for everything still seemed to be in shambles.

"How are you today, Emilia?" Bruce asked her when they ran into one another during breakfast.

"I'm good, probably the best I've felt yet." She responded.

"Good, because Tony is sending you and Captain Rogers on an overnight intelligence mission." He told her, and she felt herself freeze.

"Where at?" She asked in response.

"Amsterdam. There's been rumor that some bosses are meeting at a gala event and are going to begin to implement plans to set off a hacking system that will take out entire countries. We need a hacker of our own and an in to the leaders, making you and Steve the perfect duo for this mission." He explained as she bit into her bagel.

"So I'm the brains, he's the brawn." She chuckled.

"Essentially yes. Are you up for it?" He asked her, wanting to make sure it was alright with her.

"It could be fun." She affirmed with a nod.

"Alright, I'll let Tony know and he'll brief you both more on the mission." He told her, getting up from his seat with his lunch.

"You're not going to eat here?" She asked.

"Oh, no. I've got a lot I need to get done before you two leave." He responded.

"And when will that be?" She asked, finishing her bagel.

"In about two hours." He informed, looking at his watch. "Sorry for the late notice."

"Keeps me on my toes. Thanks Bruce." She answered, finishing her glass of water and putting everything away. She followed him out of the kitchen and they branched opposite ways, Emilia heading towards Natasha's room.

"It's open!" She heard her call out after she knocked, so she pulled down on the handle and pushed it open, finding her sitting at her desk writing something. "Hey Emilia." She greeted when she looked up, pushing her glasses into her hair and sitting back.

"I hope I'm not interrupting." She responded, and Natasha instantly shook her head.

"Never. Just catching up on some reports." She answered with a smile. "What's up?"

"Bruce just told me I'm going on an overnight intelligence mission in Amsterdam." She informed, sitting down on her bed.

"Ooh, nice. Sounds like fun." She responded, but could see the confliction on her face. "Why is it not going to be fun?"

"Because Steve is coming as well, and I just don't know if it's the best idea." Emilia said. Since her breakdown in the studio weeks ago, she had told Natasha what had been the trigger of it all - the unclear admittance from Steve that he had feelings for her. She was now a mediator for the both of them, neither one knowing that she was in the middle of both sides.