9🔸 A walk to remember

Song - Pyar hua chupke se (cover) Sanam

Draupadi

I side glanced at my husband as we walked through the silent woods, my eyes slowly travelled to our entangled hands.

He had not spoken a word since we left my Swayamvar which had turned into a battle field. I could only hope my family was alright. The huge man, who I believed to be his brother, was walking far ahead of us.

"Where are we going?" I decided to break the silence.

"To our hut" His enticing ambers looked down at me "I hope the Princesses doesn't remorse garlanding this poor Brahmin"

"Remorse?" I raised a brow "I wasn't there to garland someone rich but someone worthy" My eyes fixed on the curls that were covering his forehead.

"And what made you think I'm worthy?" He quipped, the corner of his beautiful lips lifted up with a small smile.

I bit my lip, the truth was I didn't. I just knew he was an excellent warrior with drool worthy looks and that's all. We were just two uncertain young souls thrown together by destiny to fall in love.

"I actually don't but neither do you know about mine, so we are on the same boat I guess"

My reply was rewarded with an amusing smile "You're very humble for someone born from sacrificial fire"

"Not more humble than someone who just accomplished something every renowned warriors failed to do and defeated them single handedly" I couldn't help but accept the rising pride.

"Their failure doesn't make my success extraordinary Princess" He shrugged.

My eyes drifted to him, How easily he made his remarkable achievement look so small. It couldn't be lack of confidence or insecurity, the way he carried himself screamed royalty and confidence.

A person lacking self confidence could never ignore those snickers, verbal abuses that were hurled at him when he announced to hit the target.

It was something else.

Something lot of people lacked, humility.

My eyes relished the sight before me, The pointed nose complemented his prominent cheekbones. To say he was handsome would be an understatement, his strong jaw and sturdy shoulders spoke of strength. He possessed a latent, leonine power and walked with purpose and authority.

My eyes roved down to his naked sculpted chest which could only be earned after years of exercise, all smooth skin muscles and rippling abs, I felt my mouth going dry and gulping down I moved my eyes to his robust shoulders, covered in bow marks.

My brows knitted "Where did you get those scars from?"

His eyes followed mine and landed on his shoulder. A lopsided grin appeared on his face making him look a little boyish "Her highness is scrutinizing me a bit too keenly, isn't she?"