Chapter 40

میرے رونے کا جس میں قصہ ہے
عمر کا بہترین حصہ ہے

~جوش ملیح آبادی

/////

Layla's eyes stayed at the shops flying by as they drove across the Ring road, her bead leaned against the glass of window. Her heart felt light after she told Zaman about all the gushings within her. But only if his answers were not that obnoxious. Or may be, just may be he was oddly right.

She didn't know. Nor like she wanted to.

"Food was good." Said Mohsin as he changed the gears.

"Hm." Layla's eyes sleepily staying at the moon which was following them.

"That was so nice of her that she packed some for us too."

"It wasn't like we were dying to have it."

"Layla!" Mohsin glanced at her, his gaze stern. A slight frown stayed at his temple, "we don't say that. Do we?"

Layla rolled her eyes and returned to whatever she was doing.

An uncomfortable silence stretched between them which Layla broke. "You never compliment anything that I make."

"I never said I didn't like it either."

"Whatever. You never say anything at all."

Mohsin sighed and took the hold of the steering wheel, bringing his eyes back to the road.

***

Few days went by but Layla just couldn't catch Mohsin's attention. Sometimes he used to be a bit caring: like asking her about her day. He used to know that she didn't like to have dinner without him yet he used to ask her if she had her meal when he'd get home, and it used to irk her beyond limits.

She had been knocking at the door of his life but he wasn't responding. It had been a month since she was standing right outside his heart and he wouldn't let her in. But could that be if she walked away. She couldn't be so cruel, not to him but to herself. She couldn't turn her back on her lover.

One night, according to her routine, she stood beside the door of their house and waited for when his car's honk will reach her ears and she'd rush to open the main gate.

She sat on the two steps of the porch and drummed her fingers on the marble floor. Her stomach growled, she hadn't eaten anything and her stomach demanded food but her heart couldn't come in terms with it. She wanted to have dinner with him only.

She saw the light through the slits in main gate, followed by a horn. She stood up and unbolted the main gate, pushing the heavy gates open.