41. Taunted

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

"You saw him again?" Rayleigh asked me once I was back up on my feet. "The enemy?"

I nodded, but before I could tell him more, I got yanked into a tight hug. I wiggled a little to look up and saw Jaden's murderous eyes.

"We saw him too," Arch spoke, his voice surprisingly calm. "He showed himself as a shadow, so we still don't know who he is, but we heard his voice."

"He said everyone knows him by different names," Tilly added, wrapping her arms around herself.

"It could still be anyone," Arch said, and this time he seemed anxious. "Do we really not have a clue who it could be? He's Gaea's enemy, for crying out loud! That has to narrow it down!"

For a brief second, I wondered why Arch got so heated, but then I realized he wasn't used to not knowing the answer. He was really smart, after all.

"Cameron is coming," I reminded them, and forced Jaden to let go of me. "We need to focus."

"We are ready," Aadhil said shortly.

"Yes, let us wait until the enemy arrives. Might as well make a cup of tea while we're at it..." one of the Alphas mumbled.

"I understand this war is frustrating, but we have to–" Aadhil tried to speak, but the Alphas were getting impatient.

"Stay focused? Is that it?" the most annoyed of the Alphas hissed. "Focus on what? We can't fight the enemy!"

The sound of our alarms interrupted the heated conversation at that very moment. We all froze to listen to the sirens. The sound was so normal... I'd heard it whenever the town was testing their horns. But this was the first time that sound filled me with dread and fear.

"Our wait is over," Aadhil said in a grim voice. "He's here."

"Now what?" Rayleigh asked quietly.

"We will try to catch him," Aadhil said just as quietly.

"The enemy said he'll give me his name if I defeat Cameron," I said. "Sounds like he's here to fight this time."

"We will try to catch him," Aadhil repeated.

I looked at Jaden, and he immediately turned his attention to me. I didn't need to read his mind to know what he was thinking. What we all were thinking. The enemy knew we were ready to catch Cameron, and he still sent him, his strongest fighter, against us. We had no high hopes for the binding box. Even the peacekeepers were doubtful.

This was it.

'You have to kill him,' Cedric whispered, his voice filled with pain.

'I'll try not to,' I promised.

'Come out, little mouse.'

We all heard Cameron's voice, but none of us even flinched.

'And bring my Starling with you.'