Chapter 17

"I'm singing at a
funeral tomorrow."

The three teenagers still confused about what Derek was doing on school grounds, quickly jumped out of the jeep, just as he collapsed to the floor.

Jade was the first one out of the vehicle, kneeling down beside the man. "What are you doing here? Are you okay?" she asked, mild concern lacing her tone. Even if she didn't trust him, he looked like he was on death's doorstep, and that was never a good sign for anyone.

"I was shot," he replied through gritted teeth, just as Scott came running over to them from the school.

"Why aren't you healing?" Max whispered.

Looking up at the group above him, he whispered back, "I can't. It was a different kind of a bullet."

"A silver bullet?" Stiles asked enthusiastically, clearly hoping his knowledge would come in handy.

Derek sent him a quick glare, narrowing his eyes. "No, you idiot."

"Was it a wolfsbane bullet?" Jade asked, eyes widening.

"I don't know," Derek replied. "Maybe."

"Wait!" Scott said in surprise. "That's what she meant when she said you had 48 hours!"

"What!" Max exclaimed.

"Who said 48 hours?" the Hale asked, grabbing his arm in pain.

"The one who shot you," Jade said, catching on to who Scott was talking about.

Suddenly, Derek grunted in pain, his eyes turning blue. Cars began to beep from around them, people wondering what the hold up was. Teenagers were obviously starting to get annoyed, not wanting to stay in school for any longer than what they needed to.

"What are you doing? Stop that!" Max exclaimed in panic, looking around to see if anyone saw anything.

"That's what I'm trying to tell you, I can't!" Derek hissed.

Casting a quick look behind her, Jade muttered a quiet 'Controlar.' Derek's eyes slowly turned back to green. "Okay, I can't control him for long, his abilities are too strong, so someone needs to get him up now," she said. She curled her hand into a fist, muttering another incantation as she could feel her powers get the upper hand against him.

More people started to beep, and some were even getting out of their cars to see what was going on. "Now!" she ordered. Max and Stiles hoisted the man's arms over their shoulders and threw him into the backseat.

Opening his window, Derek told Scott that he needed to find whatever bullet shot him. Otherwise things would be going downhill pretty quickly.

"How do I do that?" the boy impatiently asked.

"She's an Argent, she's with them."

"Why should I help you?"

Really starting to lose her cool, she snapped "Scott can you just stop being stubborn." Her cousin was taken by surprise at her sudden outburst. "I don't believe Allison's with them either but her father and that woman are. Okay, so go on your study date, find the bullet and get out."

"Fine. I'll try," he said, sighing in defeat. He knew there was no use arguing with Jade. She was smart, and her and Scott got on very well, so if she was correcting him, she was usually right.

"Go," she demanded at Stiles, the boy pulling out of the parking lot, hoping there wasn't a group of angry people with pitchforks tailing him. "And stop at a Starbucks or somewhere that I can get coffee on the way."