5.5

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

(note • the last chapter is slightly different from the original version)

<5.5>
december air

WHEN NOVEMBER ENDED AND December began, Petunia made no change to her schedule. The youngest of the Evans family simply sat in her room, watching as it grew messier by the day.

After what happened with Vernon, the girl did not sneak out anymore — mostly in fear of running into him.

And at first, she thought it would be easy to avoid the threatening boy. However, as her family grew closer to his, Vernon was constantly over at their house. And because of this, Petunia was taken out of the solitude of her bedroom and into the open, busy living room. Right where he was.

Isabel Evans would always discreetly place Petunia next to Vernon, believing her daughter to have feelings for him. However, Petunia would undoubtedly flinch by his side — keeping the arms of her sweaters clenched in her fist, just so he wouldn't be able to see them.

Though, since her hands were rather occupied, Vernons occasional touch on the small of her back or near her knee was never removed. And he knew she'd tense at his touch. The boy knew she felt disgusted by his presence. But he didn't care.

Petunia Evans hated Vernon Dursley.

Christmas was approaching quickly and Petunia no longer felt excitement for the holiday. Since the past four holidays had not been fun for her. In actuality, they were awful.

It was always the same story. Lily Evans would either be at home or with her friends. Her parents would keep all of their attention on the other twin, despite where she was located. And Petunia would always sit in the corner of her living room, singing soft Christmas tunes to herself as the others celebrated.

This year would be no different — Despite the fact that Lily would not be alone this time around.

Lily and Petunia stopped all contact just a few years ago. And since then, Petunia has gotten all her information from her parents — who talked quite loudly outside her room.

Two girls, Marlene and Dorcas, would be coming to visit the night of Christmas. And the two would stay until school started back up. Then, a group of boys would come the following day of Christmas. However, Petunia distinctly remembered hearing one wouldn't be able to make it until another day later, as he had prior plans.

Petunia did not like the idea of having those type of people in her household as Lily was already too much to handle. The younger twin didn't even want to be in the same room as wizards and witches who shared her same magical blood.

Even the thought made her sick.

So, that's why Petunia had preplanned the entire event in her head. When they all would be over, doing whatever magical beings do, Petunia would be in her safe space — reading a few books and listening to her music. The only two things that would make her feel at peace in her life.

And that's all she wanted to feel.

Was at peace.

And as she picked up her current book to read, she almost felt that exact feeling. Though, with two hard knocks on her door, it was fairly short lived.

Thomas Evans, despite the door being locked, walked into her room before tripping over the mess. "I was going to ask you to clean the guest room," He spoke as though he was out of breath, "However," He continued, staring around her room, "Maybe we should start here?"

"I like it this way," She shrugged, reopening her book to read, "Why clean anyways?"

"For the guests who come in three weeks," He answered easily, trudging his way through her room to grab the book. Petunia glared at him in response.

"Are the guests coming into my room?" Petunia questioned, arching her brow, "You actually believe that they will show up and say 'Let's go see if Petunia cleaned her room!'" She mocked, making her voice deeper.

Thomas faked a laugh, and held her book up high, "You'll get this once you clean — the entire house, Petunia."

She gasped, and even opened her mouth to respond. However, he already left the room, clearly not interested in hearing her argument.

"No one has manners anymore!"

P.EVANS + J.POTTER