2

"IT'S NICE to meet you. You're beautiful, by the way," I stood as composed as possible, while trying to not look like a blushing clown. That's sweet of her to say. I think you're beautiful too.

"Thanks, I, uh," her eyes pierced into mine, the intensity of her stare flushing my entire body.

"My name is Delia," she stretched her hand out. I smiled, as her warm palm embraced mine.

"Alyssa."

"Beautiful name. My grandmother's name is Alyssa. She's a sweetheart," I clasped my hands in front of me, as my eyes fell upon her lips. She had a distinct cupid's bow that was the most noticeable thing on her face, including her big, blue eyes. Her eyelids were accentuated with a perfectly carved cut crease, which made her look so sophisticated and stunning, "I saw you up there looking so uncomfortable. Are you okay?"

I shrugged, "yeah, I was just a bit shy," tucking my black hair behind my ear, I studied her even more.

The black, body-fitted dress hugged every curve that God had blessed her with. And she didn't have the perfect hourglass figure, but looked extremely stunning regardless. Maybe I'm way too hard on myself.

"You did great tonight. This is my first time at something like this. And even though it's an unsettling vibe, it's for a good cause, right?"

"Yeah. That's what I chanted in the mirror," I responded.

She giggled and led me onto the balcony. The early night's chill was comforting from the AC blasted on high inside. I'd always enjoyed fresh air. Getting an even better look at her, I noticed that she was the same height as me. Then again, she was wearing heels higher than mine, so she was a bit shorter.

"How did you get involved in all of this?" She tilted her head, and rested her elbows onto the length of the railing.

"The auction?" I asked.

She nodded, "it doesn't seem to be your thing, if you know what I mean," I bit down on my lower lip, and walked beside her, resting my elbows on the railing, and leaning my head back.

"Someone else cancelled, and the project organizer, who's a good friend of mine, asked me to," more like begged me to. I inhaled a deep breath, as I felt her arm brush against mine. A chill ran up my spine, causing my body to tense.

"I've got to ask, I don't seem as desperate as those men in there, right?" Delia asked.

I straightened my posture, and looked at her in the eyes again, "I don't know. You did spend money the same way they would. Have you ever paid so expensive for a date before?"

The curve of her lips flattered my heart, "I've never paid for a date before," her eyes took a glance at the length of my body, before returning to mine.

"I believe you. Who wouldn't want to be wined and dined by someone as bea—" I bit down on the inside of my cheek, as her smile intensified.

"Don't flatter me, I might get used to it."

"You're the one who should do the flattering. You have to take me on a date," I suddenly felt confident.

I nudged her shoulder and grinned, "do I? You're getting all excited, huh?" She teased.

I pressed my lips together, and stepped back, "I don't mean it like that—I mean, I'm not trying to come on to you."

"Why not?" My breath got stuck in my throat, as I thought of what to say next, "Alyssa?" Her voice pressed against my earlobe, prompting me to speak.

"I'm straight, so don't feel as though I'm—" her eyes flickered, "as though I'm hitting on you."

"I wouldn't mind," she placed her hand on my shoulder, the warmth of her palm causing goosebumps to form on my skin. As she leaned closer, my mind raced, yet nothing was comprehensible. The way her eyes stared into mine, as though I was the only thing in the world, made me unable to say no.

"Alyssa?" A masculine voice startled me. Her hand immediately moved to her side, and I turned with widened eyes, "there you are."

Ricky approached us, disregarding the woman beside me, "here I am," I narrowed my eyes, as he smugly looked at me.

He awkwardly pulled me in for a hug, and placed a kiss on my cheek, "it's been so long. I didn't expect to see you here."

"Me neither," I almost had a panic attack thinking I'd have to endure a night with you.

"When I saw you up there—gosh, I really wanted to get that date with you," I guess I'm valued a lot more in other people's eyes. I gritted my teeth, as he attempted to place his hand on my waist, but I stepped back.

"Delia really surpassed you, didn't she?" I mentioned.

I didn't have much tolerance for him after ten years of despising his guts, "right," he turned his attention to Delia, "Ricky Shelto, and you are?"

"Delia. You're a football player, right?" A big player on and off the field.

"Yeah. It's been a busy year, but it's nice to spend my free time at places like this."

"Really? I didn't expect you to be interested in the expansion of the William Children's Hospital," I told him.

"Well, you don't know much about me anymore, do you? It's a great reason to catch up. Are you free tomorrow night?"

"I actually have plans—busy schedule all year long."

He looked at Delia with a smirk, eyeing her from her stilettos to her diamond earrings, "you still have my number, text me when you're free. I'll leave you ladies alone," he winked and walked away. I grabbed Delia's hand subconsciously, and pulled out my apologetic eyes.

"I'm sorry about," I looked over my shoulder, "that."

Her eyes softened, and I released her hand, realizing how intimate it was.

"Ex?"

"Sadly. He's the last person I wanted to see tonight," literally. It's as though he knows when I'm very insecure, and decides to show up.

"Here's my number," she slid a card out of her purse, and handed it to me, "I have to run, but text me. Maybe I can squeeze in that date soon," she leaned in, and placed a kiss on my cheek. A tingling sensation ran up my spine, and into my throat. Fuck, that felt electrifying.

"Okay."

"Get home safe, darling."

As she disappeared at a turn, I looked at the card, only seeing her full name and phone number. Delia Wilks. Why does that sound familiar?