5

"I CAN'T believe you're such a pussy," Markian convinced me to meet him at a bar for drinks, and I was beginning to regret it.

"I'm not a pussy, I'm just busy," I responded.

"Yeah, right. I didn't think you'd be so uptight about this. You were so excited," he looked at the woman beside him, "Charlie, she was so excited. You could see the stars in her eyes," he noticed that? Gosh, I thought I was subtle about it.

"I'll get around to it. We're both working women with busy lives."

"The woman spent seventy grand! Seventy grand, Alyssa! Most girls can barely get someone to buy them a drink. You better give that woman the best night of her life, if you know what I mean," he wiggled his eyebrows.

"I'm not a prostitute, Markian," he stretched his hand across the table, and grabbed mine.

"But you're a sexually frustrated human being. I'd fuck that Delia. I don't see why you won't."

"You're too fucking drunk. I'm straight, what do you want me to say?"

"That you'd let loose every once in a while," he swung his arm around Charlie's neck, "that woman is the most exciting thing that's happened to you in god knows how long, and you better make the most of it," he leaned against her, and pointed his finger at me.

"Listen, it's my business. So stay the fuck out of it, okay?" I was becoming frustrated. I should have known better than to be around him while he was drunk. He'd always been arrogant and light-headed after a couple shots.

"So defensive," he rolled his eyes, "Charlie, let's dance. I'm over dealing with her lack of fun."

He pulled Charlie up, "no one's dancing here," Charlie looked around.

"Then let's go to a club."

"I'll pass. I have to head home. Text me when you're sober, Markian," he waved his hand dismissively. I paid our tab, and headed out of there. Charlie had a handful to deal with.

SITTING ON my sofa, I leaned back with my eyes glued to the card in my hand. I might not have been interested in women, but she intrigued me. And Markian was right about one thing—she was the most interesting thing to happen to me in a while. I grabbed my phone, and entered her number into my contacts, but I couldn't message her at two o'clock in the morning. I'd wait at an appropriate time in the day.

"IT SEEMS as though you attract all of the gays to the firm," Meggie placed a few files on my desk, and raised her head.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I furrowed my brows, looking at her skeptically.

"You're the only partner here that deals with so much, you know, gay divorce. No one else does."

"That's because this firm is filled with pigheaded lawyers, who can't take it seriously."

She sat down, and leaned forward, with her elbows propped on her thighs, and her chin lifted by the palms of her hands, "do the lesbians ever hit on you? I bet they do," I leaned back and shrugged.

"No one comes here looking to score a date with their attorney. Well, except for the men. But I'm not biased against any of my clients, I take every divorce seriously. Does that answer all of the questions that you have for me? I'd like to get back to work."

I was really annoyed. Sometimes she really pissed me off, "fine. Yes, I have work to do too," she left my office with a grudge building inside of her. I just wanted to focus on what was important—my cases.

"Alyssa," McConnon walked into my office, "I've wanted to discuss something with you."

"Must be important for you to walk ten footsteps away from your office," he closed the door behind him, and walked beside my desk.

"Your humor has never managed to entertain me, you should work on it."

I clasped my hands, as he leaned against my desk, looking at me, "what is it that you want to talk about?" I asked.

"Chicago," I leaned back, "I'd do it myself, but I'm needed here, and you're the next best thing."

"I'm not interested in Chicago."

He fixed his tie, looking at me with a smile, "really? I thought you, of all people, would appreciate relocating there."

"And why would you think so?"

"I don't know, you were born there? All of your family are there?"

"Not all," I mumbled.

"Think about it. You don't have to head there till the end of the year."

"It's October."

"That's right. Plenty of time to make up your mind," he straightened his posture, "look, I really need someone I can count on. You're one of the only people I trust to do the job. You're really not wondering what it would be like to be in charge there? You won't have to take shit from me on a daily basis."

"Tempting," I had nothing holding me back. But Chicago? I thought that I left that city behind, and was never planning to move back.

"Let me know what you decide. But I'm counting on you, Alyssa. Don't let me down," he patted my shoulder. After he left, I leaned back, and closed my eyes. Chicago. I wasn't thrilled about it.