22

MEGGIE NARROWED her eyes at me, as I walked towards my office. I wanted to run in the other direction, but I was wearing heels, and didn't want to accidentally trip over, and hurt the baby.

When I walked into my office, and turned to close the door, she placed her hand on the knob, stopping me, "can we talk?" I was having a stressful morning, and it seemed as though she would intensify it.

"Yeah, I guess," I sighed, as we walked into my office. I tried to walk to my desk, but she gripped my wrist with her hand. Startled, I pulled my hand away, and turned to face her, "Meg, what—"

Her eyes looked as though they'd explode. They were red, as if fused by fire, "who was she?"

"Who?" I dumbly responded. Her eyes seemed to flare into spheres, "oh, right, um, she's a friend of mine."

I huffed out a breath, and quickly walked behind my desk to sit down, "really?"

"Yes, Meg," I played it off. I picked up a folder, and flipped through it as though I was unbothered, "why do you ask?"

"You're unbelievable," she blurted, "how could you do this to me?"

"I really don't know what you're talking about. Because if you're talking about what you walked in on the other day, that's clearly none of your business."

I hated to sound mean. But she was crossing the line. I understood that she might have had feelings for me, and I didn't want to hurt her feelings, but she was getting too obsessive. And I needed to put my foot down.

"I—"

"You better pull yourself together, or I'll get HR involved. Meg, stop this fascination of yours. I sympathize with your feelings, but I can't deal with this obsession that you have."

Her eyes were filled with tears, but my heart was filled with nothing for her, "I quit, then."

"Meg, I'm—" she stormed out of the office, and grabbed her things off of her desk. I watched her, as she rushed into the elevator, her eyes glued to the floor. No one noticed a thing. It was just another quiet day in the office to them.