30

"HEY, BEAUTIFUL," my eyes opened to see Delia's smile. My breathing was heavy, but seeing her eased a lot of pressure that was on my chest.

"You're okay," I mumbled, as she caressed my cheek with her fingers. I'd never seen deep bags under her eyes before, or messy hair.

"I am, darling. We're both okay," she helped me to sit up, "careful now."

"I'm so sorry," seeing her so torn broke my heart. It's all my fault.

"Don't be sorry. It's not your fault. She's a mad woman. But we're safe now. Okay?" Delia assured me.

I swallowed, "I can't believe she—" I placed my hand on Delia's chest, "she hurt you."

"It'll heal. I'm just happy that you're okay," I noticed Maxwell standing at the door. He looked at me with death in his eyes. I felt so guilty.

"Maxwell is pissed at me," I whispered, dropping my head in shame.

"He's angry with himself. But he's the one who found us. We were both left unconscious in the elevator."

"I'm sorry for making him stay so far away from you. If I was more understanding, he could've stopped her."

"Don't worry about that, darling. I'm just happy you and the baby are okay."

"Please don't go," I quivered. She smiled softly at me, and shook her head.

"I'm not going anywhere."

WITHIN A few days, I was stable enough to be discharged from the hospital. Delia took me to her house as a precaution. Even though Meggie was in custody, Delia still had her concerns.

"You're really going out of your way," I said. Delia shook her head. We were in the kitchen. And I was looking at her attempt to make pancakes.

"I'm not. I just," she stuck the spatula under the pancake, trying to flip it, "want this pancake to—"

"Oh, honey, I can do that," my mom walked in, and took the spatula from Delia, "it's the least I can do."

Delia walked beside me in defeat, "I have to head to the office later to take care of some things. Will you be okay?"

I nodded, "yes, especially since you got a Maxwell 2.0 to watch me twenty four seven."

She leaned against my ear and whispered, "just be safe," my body became flushed. We hadn't had a proper chance to talk, since the incident, and I had a feeling that there was something that she wanted to tell me.

"Come with me," I pulled her into the backyard, and towards the garden. She had a beautiful assortment of plants and flowers, giving her home a romantic feel. I led her towards the bench in the center of the yard, and sat down, hoping that she'd sit beside me. When she did, I reached for her hand, and intertwined our fingers. She looked at me with a blush staining her cheeks.

"Never expected you to be the bold one," she said. There was something that changed between us. Before, I knew that I had to choose between her and the baby, but I finally realized that maybe I could have both. As long as I fought hard enough. And to me, she was worth it.

"I can be full of surprises," I brought her hands up to my lips, and kissed the back of her palm.

"Aren't you afraid that your mom might—" I placed my hand on her jawline, and leaned in, brushing our lips together. But when I looked behind her, I saw Maxwell in the distance.

"Or your bodyguard," I giggled, "I'm sorry," I pressed my lips together, and leaned back, "I know we're supposed to be just friends—"

Delia closed the distance, and pressed her lips against mine, "I'm sorry too," she sighed. I moved my hand onto her thigh and squeezed.

"I know that you're not looking for a commitment, but—"

"I have something that I want to say," she placed both of her hands in mine, and looked intently into my eyes, "I had my doubts at first. I wasn't intending to continue our relationship after finding out that you're pregnant. It didn't feel right to me—"

"And I understand," she moved her hand onto my lips to hush me, before reaching for my hand again.

"After Meg happened—I mean when that whole fiasco was happening, all I could think about was the baby. And how I'd kill her if she did anything to jeopardize the baby."

"So you weren't concerned for my safety at all, huh?"

"Not in the slightest," she smiled widely at me.

"Delia, I know this might sound stupid, but, but I—and I don't know if we'll be anything more than just friends—but I, I think I'm—"

"Girls!" My mom yelled. I cringed and turned to see her head popped out of the glass door, "come eat."

I almost jumped to my feet. Did she notice anything? My mom narrowed her eyes at me, and shook her head with a smile, before disappearing into the house, "I doubt she's that oblivious, darling," I looked back and Delia, "everyone notices the way you look at me—as though I'm a walking orgasm."

"You're way too full of yourself," I nudged her arm, "I don't do that!"

"Right. All you see is a sexual object to play with," she wiped a fake tear from her eye, "I bet those pregnancy hormones are really kicking in."

"You bet yah," I winked at her, and walked away. I sensed that she was flustered.

"Hey, don't just walk away," she followed me, and reached for my shoulder, "I'm up for bargaining."

"What bargaining?" I asked.

"About our future, darling," she spun me around, and wrapped her arms around my waist, "and sex, of course."

"If only we could get rid of my mom," I tilted my head towards the house.

"Leave it to me," she bit down on her bottom lip, "but future first, then sex."

"Uh, fine. Why do you have to be so responsible?"

"Because I'm a grown ass woman," she said.