Chapter 26

I didn't say anything. I was shocked to learn that I should've died instead of living through the bite. My eyes lowered to the floor and tears formed within them. There had been many days that I wished I would've died.

"I'm sorry," King said. "It was different when I saw you the next evening at Harden's house." He mentioned the Mayor of the town and the welcoming party that took place. I remembered everything bit by bit, how he had offered me to dance with him, how he had been so kind to me, how he let me see things differently.

I thought that evening was the start of something.

I thought.

"You were supposed to die, Eos, but you didn't and I don't know why or what happened. A wolf bite was supposed to kill a human—any human." He further continued while pacing near me. The sun rays shone straight at him and his brown hair. He was dressed as compared to last night, wearing a black shirt and a pair of black pants while I was undressed and only covered with a comforter.

"What are you?" I asked him, still in doubt, still curious even after seeing him turn into an animal.

"A werewolf or a shifter—whichever term you prefer."

Werewolf.

Wasn't that folklore?

There were many children's stories written about werewolves and big black wolves hunting down children that didn't brush their teeth or slept on time. Often, I read many of these stories and found them interesting along with other mythical creatures that were used to scare children into being good.

"W—what is happening to me, then?" I questioned, horror and strain in my voice as I looked over my hands. They had changed completely last night, turned into an ugly paw.

"You survived the bite and you're in a state of transformation. The pain you felt was your own wolf forming herself within you over the course of the past few weeks. Your body will change, you'll feel different, your emotions, your thoughts, your mind—everything." He explained to me with his warm voice while I was breaking from within.

I looked at him, startled, and said, "I don't want this."

"Unfortunately, that's not something I can control. As I mentioned, this hasn't happened before so I have no clue on what to expect."

"No, I don't want this." I shook my head, denying and rejecting whatever was within me. "I don't want to be a wolf."

I couldn't become a wolf.

"You'll not be just a wolf, Eos." He came near and got down on his knees. His eyes bore into mine and he placed his hands over my legs. "You can control when you want to shift or when not. It's completely up to you. You never have to shift if you don't want to."

"I don't want this." I stared at him and said.

Disappointment appeared on his face. "Why?" He asked, his voice low now.

"Because I don't want to live forever. I don't want to live with pain. I don't want this!" I exclaimed, crying out just a little more till my eyes burned with the tears that didn't stop for a second.

"There'll be no pain. It's a gift and you'll learn that through time." He cleared his throat and stood up. "For now, you just have to shift, tonight."

"What?"

"It's going to be the full moon tonight and you'll have to shift," King said, tearing his gaze away from mine. "If you don't shift, you'll die."

My lips parted. I blinked my eyes and raised my brows at his words. "I'm not going to."

"You'll die."