Chapter 1

"Excuse me, Mr. Finly. Could you sign this please?"

A tall Sheikah thrust a clipboard and pen under Link's nose, blocking his view out the plane window and disrupting his peaceful thoughts. With a tired smile and a sigh, he took the offered pen and scrawled a messy signature along the dotted line, his hand tired from the mountain of papers he had signed earlier. It seemed there was a never-ending supply of legal slips and loopholes to jump through just to transfer one archeologist.

Link pressed his forehead against the cool glass beside him, trying to ease his burning headache. It had been a surprise to him and all his colleagues when the summons came from headquarters. He had been doing research in the Wilds of Hyrule for over a year now, not once returning to the big city or ever planning to. He'd devoted all of his time to his research. Both excavating and exploring the ruins that scattered the uninhabited and nonindustrialized planes on the edges of the country. Mostly they were Sheikah ruins, huge cavernous structures filled with all kinds of puzzles and traps. He loved these the most. Each one brought a thrilling new challenge, the kind that didn't rely on modern technology, just the wit of a man. Of course, there were also ancient Hylian and Zoani. None of which were half as exciting as the Sheikah.

He loved his job, loved the freedom and thrill it provided. And yet here he was, on a plane and inching steadily towards the city rising up against the horizon. If it had been completely his choice, he would have stayed back in his small little camp. But one simply couldn't ignore a recall to headquarters for an 'urgent engagement'.

All too soon a light flashed above, signaling the passengers to put on their seatbelts. The few others in the spacious cabin scrambled to their seats, tucking laptops and loose papers hurriedly under their arms. The clicks of locks engaging rang out as the captain's muffled voice informed them they would be in Castle Town within the next few minutes.

Link watched the glittering city from the window. It was no doubt an impressive establishment. He'd grown up there for most of his life and it still awed him to see the massive buildings, and bustling streets, not to mention the massive skyscraper that was Harkinin Industries. It was impressive, yes, but nothing was going to make Link happy about being forced back. He'd take the open Wilds over the city any day.

The jet slowly began spiraling down, each passing second the sky being swallowed by the towering buildings. Link kept his eyes fixed on the massive headquarters of Harkinian Industries as they touched down, gliding to a smooth stop. He couldn't help but wonder what exactly was in store for him there.

Only moments after the engine turned off, shouts could be heard from the runway below as a small team immediately began unloading the artifacts stored in the hull. Link watched them run frantically about as the other passengers gathered their belongings in a rush. He almost forgot how frantic operations in the city were. Pushing himself from his seat, he slung his bag over his shoulder and leisurely walked to the door of the plane, taking his time down the boarding stairs, the city air already feeling thick in his lungs.

He looked around for a moment, people running past and even crashing into him. It took Link a moment to gather his bearings before he spotted a familiar woman. He sauntered over, the woman's tight bun flawless despite the strong wind, and small glasses perched crookedly on her sharp nose.

"Evening, Miss. Summa," Link gave a small salute and crooked smile.

She didn't notice him at first, being too busy screaming orders at a poor pair of personnel who were supposedly in the wrong spot. Link waited patiently for her to stop her screaming, then watched as she fixed her glasses and smoothed her already wrinkle-free jacket.