1.0

[1.0]

The Beifong Sisters

Earth Rumble

Probably the most interesting thing that happened in Ren Beifong's life. But until its sixth edition started, the two Beifong sisters were locked in their home. There were still two hours until it started, yet the people of Gaoling were already awaiting it with excitement.

However, both Ren and her little sister of four years were locked in their homes, guarded by the estate's escorts. The days were always the same for the two girls. They would wake up and Toph would have her earthbending classes while Poppy Beifong would accompany her eldest daughter to a lawyer's office, where the young sixteen year old girl would proceed with her diplomacy and politics classes.

Both Poppy and Lao Beifong had great expectations from their eldest daughter. They wanted her to succeed, to climb the stairs of politics and get to Ba Sing Se, where she could aid the Earth King in his decisions. While the parents' expectations were indeed greater than what could be done, Ren could achieve it.

But Ren didn't want it. She wanted to travel the world with her sister, help people in need, meet Kyoshi warriors. Yet, the young girl didn't find her strength, and she didn't defy her parents. The two were too good with her, and just at the thought of leaving for something else than what they wanted made her feel guilty.

When Ren was done with the politics, she would find her way back to the Beifong estate where she would have lunch before hanging out with her sister. And then, when the night finally took over the city of Gaoling, the two would sneak out for Earth Rumble.

Toph Beifong found herself in her sister's room. She was sitting on the wide and comfortable couch, one of her bare feet on the floor, listening to her sister train. Ren was laying on the ground, her knees bent and her body pulling forward with each crunch.  She was wearing a simple pair of beige trousers, probably the only pair she owned, and a short top that didn't cover her toned abdomen. The girl grunted as she pulled her body up, her abs flaring with burning pain as she tried to do more crunches than usual.

Ren flopped down on the floor with heavy breaths, a coat of sweat dripping off her forehead and neck. The girl got to her feet and walked to Toph's right. The wall was covered in weapons. Blades of all kinds that Ren collected from the local market or that her parents gifted her since she seemed to adore them so much. Poppy thought they were only decorations and certainly didn't expect her eldest daughter to learn how to use them. But Ren didn't just like the blades because they were shiny, she liked them because they were sharp.

Slowly, her hand found the handle of a beautiful katana sword. The fabric wrapped around the handle and the scabbard was a pure tint of white, unstained by any substances. The black and red thread that accompanied the snow white fabric enveloped the weapon, creating a small bow that tangled from the handle. Ren took it slowly and opened it, revealing the shiny silver sharp blade of the katana. Her moves were swift and calculated. She shifted her stance, the sword acting like an extension to her arms. Ren placed both her hands on the handle and bent her knees, pulling her hands behind her, the weapon so close to her face that she could glance at her reflection through the blade.